lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
mrtint
Not Yet Wild

Default stuck brake drum

Hello,
I was given a Jacoben 91 utility cart (ezgo marathon) from a golf course. I am finding out it isnt so free although I cant complain because it runs great and came with a charger but I decided I wanted more. They had cut all the accesories to the cart (horn,brake lights,head lighs,horn and turn signal lights) so I decided to rewire everything and with some searching was able to find everything I needed on this site but nothing on stuck brake drum. Thanks to Andy4639 sticky on ezgo brakes, one side went exactly as was written but when I got to the other side and came time to remove the brake drum it was stuck!! Any ideas on how to remove this? I did a search but only found two post and none addressed the problem? Here is what I tried so far
1)removed wheel
2)removed brake cable
3)removed big nut holding drum on
4)turned star wheel all the way so pads realesed
5)stuck drum so hit drum with hammer-NO LUCK
6)still stuck so hit with BIGGER hamer-NO Luck
7)sprayed with rust buster and let soak over night-NO LUCK
heated drum (with map gas for plumbing stuff)-NO LUCK
9)stared at it-NO LUCK
10)went to auto zone and rented a puller-NO LUCK

11)attached a slide hammer to the puller-NO LUCK

12)heated again (with puller attached) until smoke was comming out-NO LUCK
13)banged with a sludge hammer-NO LUCK
14)unbolted the rear plate and tried to pull everything off-NOTHING
15)ASKING FOR HELP

ANY IDEAS WHAT I CAN DO??

thanks
Robert
mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: stuck brake drum

about all you can do is beat the hell out of it try to split it with a hammer and chisel and get another one the whole axle wont come out because ther is a lock ring behind the drum just be careful not to bum up the axle you may tru some heat from a cutting tourch just heat the hub
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
mrtint
Not Yet Wild

thanks rusty1
Just curious on the best way to cut the drum off. I don't think a hammer and chisel will work because the drum looks about 1/2 thick (going by the access hole to turn the star wheel) and over an 1" thick around the hub? Would a grinding wheel (like used to cut re-bar) on a 4" grinder work? whats the best was to protect the hub? maybe grind close to the hub then try to split? Your right about the drum, I think its only $35 to replace.
mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have got a 10 pound slide-hammer that takes them off You sure you got a big enough one?
Of course if you are in rust country ...... all bets are off
Be sure to put the anti-sieze compound on the new one when you put it on
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtint View Post
thanks rusty1
Just curious on the best way to cut the drum off. I don't think a hammer and chisel will work because the drum looks about 1/2 thick (going by the access hole to turn the star wheel) and over an 1" thick around the hub? Would a grinding wheel (like used to cut re-bar) on a 4" grinder work? whats the best was to protect the hub? maybe grind close to the hub then try to split? Your right about the drum, I think its only $35 to replace.
Yes, That is what I use on stubborn cast parts.
You will not need to cut all of it, just alot of it and not all of the way through.
Because it is cast, you can cut a groove in it on each side with a 4" grinder and I use a thin cut off wheel.
Cut as much as you can or dare to and then drive a shallow angle chisel in the cut. It will break very easy.
And yes to the anti-sieze compound!
When retorque the nut, do not loosen to get a cotter pin in the hole, go to the next one.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

10lb slide hammer, only way to go, and give it hell,I would try heat and the slide hammer together, being in ca we get spoiled some times without the rust, good luck,
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes you may have to cut it part of the way but remember cast iron is briddle so take it easy and bust of the outter drum part until you get down to the peice left on the hub grind it down to just before the splines on the axle you may want to do this on both sides then hit it with a BFH and a good sharp chisel remember dont hit your hand it hurts
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Be Sure And Wear Eye And Face Shield And Heavy Clothing For Protection If Your Cutting The Drum Off With Hammer And Chisel. Cast Iron In The Eye Can End Your Sight. I Assure You Small Bits Of Cast Iron Will Fly Everywhere.
Not To Scare You But Be Safe As You Only Have 2 Eyes. I Have A Freind With Only One Eye From The Same Type Of Work?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All good advice
If you are not proficient with hammer, or have lousy aim? hold the chisel with some vise grips ....
Let us know how it goes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A safer aproach is to rent a 3 prong pulley puller that can reach around the outside of the drum.

Get it on there and tighten the center bolt quite a bit. Now hit the bolt with a 2-3 pound sledge hammer and it should pop right off. This has worked everytime for me and it's a lot safer method in my opinion.

Keep us posted
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO