lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
StatesboroJoe
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 EZGO Marathon No Crank

Though not a mechanic and familiar with only working on lawnmowers, I am attempting to help my neighbor get her 1988 EZGO Gas Marathon golf cart running. She recently had someone take a look at it and was told it needed a new starter generator and a new ignition switch. This was after it was running but refused to start again without even cranking after she stopped to pet a dog. I obtained the new parts for her and installed them but I still cannot get it to crank. I am certain I connected everything correctly. There is no clicking from the solenoid, the battery tested fine. From everything I have read on this forum and others it could be a micro switch, a fuse, or the solenoid. The pedal microswitch looks new. It appears to be missing two fuses, one connected to the black wire connected to the ignition switch and another which I believe is a Buss AGC 25 AMP fuse. This cart has been a nightmare for her since she bought it against my advice. What would the fuse connected to the ignition switch be? Should I replace the solenoid? Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.
StatesboroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGO Marathon No Crank

Do not buy a solenoid.
It looks like you will be needing this manual. Section L is electrical. It has all of the wiring. I will scroll through it to find the size of the control circuit fuse in a minute.

You can always jump the two big lugs of the solenoid to make sure the starter works.

You can put a meter on the small terminal of the solenoid that connects to all of the switches to see if it's getting power when pushing the pedal.

Put a meter on the hot side of the ignition switch. Ground the meter to the negative battery terminal. You should have voltage there at all times. If not, there is a small black wire coming from the large lug of the solenoid. It has a black plastic fuse holder. Check that fuse.

EDIT: Page R5. It's a 25 amp fuse. When you say it's missing, do you mean the holder is empty? A fuse doesn't just disappear on it's own. If the holder is empty, I would think the first guy removed it hoping to make some money.
Am I not reading this correctly?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1988 EZGO Marathon Owner's Manual.pdf (6.82 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Put 12vs right to the starter off the solenoid to rule it out.
If so there's only 3 things.
Key switch
Micro behind switch on FnR lever and accelerator.
Solenoid.
Follow in that order.
Keynswitch is fused and should have 12vs at 1 post. Check to see if it transisitons 12v when on.
Microswitches are shut closed and open when open. Check continuity.
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
StatesboroJoe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Do not buy a solenoid.
It looks like you will be needing this manual. Section L is electrical. It has all of the wiring. I will scroll through it to find the size of the control circuit fuse in a minute.

You can always jump the two big lugs of the solenoid to make sure the starter works.

You can put a meter on the small terminal of the solenoid that connects to all of the switches to see if it's getting power when pushing the pedal.

Put a meter on the hot side of the ignition switch. Ground the meter to the negative battery terminal. You should have voltage there at all times. If not, there is a small black wire coming from the large lug of the solenoid. It has a black plastic fuse holder. Check that fuse.

EDIT: Page R5. It's a 25 amp fuse. When you say it's missing, do you mean the holder is empty? A fuse doesn't just disappear on it's own. If the holder is empty, I would think the first guy removed it hoping to make some money.
Am I not reading this correctly?

You are correct. There is no fuse and the fuse holder is missing the cap. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
StatesboroJoe
Not Yet Wild

Update: I replaced the missing fuse and, using my multimeter, tested everything that could be tested. Turns out the guy who looked at it before had replaced the pedal micro switch but had hooked the wires backwards. I switched them around, tightened everything that could be tightened, and the golf cart started on the first turn. On a hunch, I tested the old starter generator and it works perfectly. I.am leaving the new one on, however, because the old one is about ten years old. Anyway, that is for all the help!

Tags
1988, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO