lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Would 1/0 cables be overkill

I have some 1/0 cable would there be any negative effects of making cables this size I only plan on getting a 440 Amp controller for my EZGO Marathon 36 volt. Would like too have a smaller more flexible cable just trying to do a budget build. and just to be sure is it 4/0 cable everyone is using or just a 4 AWG. Here's a link to a kit im looking at the chart in the images shows 4 gauge is only good for 150 AMPS and 4/0 is good for 440. Feeling confused lol
Maharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Would 1/0 cables be overkill

Overkill is the best way to kill!

"Too big of cables" is only possible when they are so thick you cant even fit them. "Too big cables" is not really possible, except when they cant make the turns you have to make (or adding excessive weight to the vehicle).

1/0 is pretty absurd for a 400a controller, but who am i?

Anything bigger than 2g wont add any benefit to your cart under any circumstances you will ever actually see, but bigger cables wont hurt it any more than carrying extra copper wire weight around.

The controller & motor dont demand 400a "all the time", the max amp draw only happens when you "stomp the pedal from a stop". The controller doesnt "pump" 400a, it only allows the motor access to 400a when the motor can draw that much, like "smash the gas from a standstill". The motor (thankfully) cant use 400a when "cruising along" at speed.

This is something most people dont understand. The "big *** controller" doesn't "pump" its amps, it works like a "valve" to offer the motor what it can use. The motor can use max amps when it's at "zero rpm", as soon as "1 rpm" & all rpms above that, it needs less & less amps to do its job. (Most settle down to 70-140 amps when at "max speed"). The wide variation at max speed depends on vehicle weight, gear ratio, tire size, terrain, ect.

Let's just say you drive on streets, but with big hills sometimes. (All imaginary figures here).
So flat ground top speed is 6000 motor rpm, 80a at full speed. When you hit a hill, you slow down some up the hill, imagine say 4500 rpm, the speed is slower, but the amp draw will increase to 120a. The slower it goes, the higher the amp load will be to sustain that speed.

Keep in mind I used no calculation at all in this imaginary scenario, all "made up numbers" "very roughly" * based on what I have seen (no ohms law math needs apply here). All I was saying was that a "400a controller" doesnt just magically "blast 400a all the time".

Dont figure this as "well, that controller is just a waste of money then". The "bigger than stock controller" advertises way more torque, and it does it, at low speeds. But, the second half of the picture isnt as clear. Just how long can the controller "keep doing the hard work"? (Before it overheats & cuts down/off). This is where the stock controller falls flat on its face. The stock one was designed to play some golf, with some rest time to "chill out", while you wander around & look for a little ball to hit. (The factory controller doesnt list how much time It'd like to "chill"). When your expecting more than "golf", its shortcomings pop up pretty soon. Aftermarket controllers are usually forthcoming with the data the oem left off (and it's way, way better. They had to "blow the factory stuff out of the water", or else we'd all be "super satisfied with stock controllers" (remember, a bean counter speced that controller to be "good enough for golf"). Aftermarket controllers (you pay for, separately of the cart) are made for stuff a "bean counters controller" could never match. Credit to the bean counter for "just getting the job done, for pennies".

* "very roughly" = "wild accusations based on numbers seen across many carts in many configurations" for the "well, nuh-uh" crowd.

Ok, rant over.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
smokeonthewater
Not Yet Wild

1/0 is way overkill and 4/0 would be ludicrous...
4 ga is WAY WAY WAY WAY smaller than 4/0...

4 ga would be fine and 2 ga is imho the biggest you should be considering if you were buying...

If you already have it and don't value it for other uses, no reason you can't use it....
smokeonthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

using 2/0 on mine. working fine so far
152978d1496145928-56-studebaker-build-20170525_152329-1-.jpg
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If that reversing contactor has magnetic blowouts, it is not wired correctly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I plan using 1/0, simply because I have quite a bit of it laying around, plus I am not sure what the vendors sell but this stuff is super flexible and easy to work with.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

if you have it, use it. no negatives, the 'added weight' isn't even a factor.
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry this whole gauge thing messes with my head I'm used too metric mm2 lol, I think im going to save my cable and just buy some 4 gauge and crimp the lugs on with a hyd crimper. Much more affordable now that I'm not looking at 4/0 cable haha thanks.
My controller failed and I need too get a replacment anyway so why not spend a little more and upgrade looking at the Navitas 440 Amp controller with OTF Controller
Maharvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/0, cable, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO