lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #31
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 Ez GO Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Post a picture of your carburetor. That is not an 88 muffler.

The muffler isn’t the original I just replaced it with a new one. It said it was for an 88 but it didn’t fit perfect so I welded the bar to make it fit nice and snug.

Here is a pic of my carb. This is a new carb too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #32
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That is an 88 carb. It is the larger Venturi bv-24. Your muffler is not an 88. It's for 87 and older carts with the smaller bv-18 Venturi. The engineers designed the 88 carb and muffler to be used as a pair for a reason. It gained two horsepower. That may or may not be the problem. I don't know.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #33
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
That is an 88 carb. It is the larger Venturi bv-24. Your muffler is not an 88. It's for 87 and older carts with the smaller bv-18 Venturi. The engineers designed the 88 carb and muffler to be used as a pair for a reason. It gained two horsepower. That may or may not be the problem. I don't know.

I’m going to assume the new muffler isn’t the issue seeing how it was doing this exact same thing last year with the original muffler too.

Here is the pic of the old muffler. It got so hot that top piece broke right off.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #34
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

About the pic with the scorched plywood under the seat, Ouch!! Mine has a metal heat shield right there
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #35
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Crazy. I have just started on an 88 rebuild too, that was my grandparents old cart. I ordered a new carb and fuel pump off Amazon the other day, and whenever I went to install them I noticed they were both different from the ones on the cart. Cart Around mentioned I have an early 88 model which had some of the 87 parts apparently. CA, also said I would be better to rebuild my carb and take a look at the fuel pump too, the OEM parts would be much better than what you can buy now. I did that last night and it runs great now. My carb is different from yours, but our fuel pumps look the same. My muffler is the same as the one you just installed. I also had a heat shield over the muffler on the seat. I had the OEM seat, but it had some rotten places so i just cut a new board last weekend. I can post some pictures of it later. The shield is just a thin piece of metal with some foam between it and the wood. You can check out my post and see some of my pictures too. It sounds like we are trying to accomplish the same thing with our buggies!
Also, I'm sure you have figured this out by now, Cart Around is very knowledgeable, couldn't have got mine back up and running without him help. Dabble Inn jumped on my thread yesterday too, another one, that knows his stuff!
Familys88ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Guys! Just wanted to give everyone an update!! I found the problem!!

The brand new muffler I bought was defective. Cart still wasn’t breathing right which is why it was overheating. I took the muffler completely off and my golf cart is easily going 5+ MPH faster, not going sluggish up hills AT ALL, and stopped my overheating problem!!

Thank you everyone for your input!!

Old 06-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #37
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Well..it’s actually still getting hot. But driving much better.

Now that I removed the muffler. The exhaust pipe that comes from the motor to the muffler is what is getting extremely hot. I took this off to make sure there wasn’t any blockages and there is not. Why would this be getting so hot? Both crank seals are brand new.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #38
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Any ideas here? anything at this point would be appreciated..I’m desperate! The EZ GO dealer says no idea why it would get that hot after removing the muffler. Like iI stated previously, removing the muffler definitely improved performance and up-hill performance quite a bit. Obviously it’s not getting hot under the seat anymore without a muffler...but the exhaust pipe coming from the motor is still extremely hot holding my hands 6-12 inches above it after a short time quarter-half mile drive. Seems like it’s a little warmer towards the spark plug side of the motor, but the motor itself isn’t that hot compared to the pipe.

Considering wrapping the exhaust pipe with a heat-reducing titanium wrap...but I still need to figure out why it’s getting so hot. Also need to get a muffler on it because it is LOUD LOUD

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #39
newtjl
Gone Wild

Only a few things can make it run hot:
1. Air/fuel mixture is too lean
2. Not enough oil
3. Cooling fan broken or distorted
4. Cooling fins blocked
5. Advanced or retarded timing

You have already said you are mixing the oil at 128:1 so that is ruled out. If it starts and runs well in both directions, I would think the ignition timing is in good shape. If you take the engine shroud off and the fan looks good, the fins look clean, and you can feel a fair amount of air coming off the fan when you turn it over, that only leaves the poor carburetor. Two strokes dont like lean carbs. I have never personally witnessed it, but I have heard of lean mixtures burning holes in pistons. Thats my guess on it. Cart around said those carbs arent adjustable. So may try a $20 aftermarket carb just to see what it does.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #40
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I see the intake hose isn't completely connected in the picture. Has that been fixed yet?

I also have to wonder what you consider hot. Exhaust pipes get hot. Much hotter than the rest of the engine.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO