lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #21
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Not Running

Almost but not quite the view we're looking for, would like to see the end of the throttle cable (arrow) that's under that top plate (circle) of the mount to see IF there's a spring or not. Thanks.....

That new carb has a banjo fitting and the one installed does not, yes you're right it's what the fuel line slips over at the carb... It's no biggy other than the ones without have had some problems with leaking there, It's just a new great design is all.....

The main reasons some peeps remove the oil injection system and mix the fuel/oil is;

Less moving parts,

Mixing manually gets you the exact ratio every time and constantly all the time it's running,

If the pump goes bad while running you won't know it and it'll burn up the engine,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88 throttle cable maybe spring_LI.jpg (1.17 MB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #22
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply Dabble.

That's the best picture i have with me now (at work), so i will take some more later tonight.
That makes since about the moving parts. Do i need to just remove the oil line and put that screw back in that hole?
Familys88ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #23
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

IF I remember right it's a 6mm bolt that plugs the hole in the intake manifold, seal it up good with either a gasket, O-ring whatever......

I would also remove the pump and the cable from the carb lever, it's up to you on the oil tank. But I would remove it too, I'd get rid of it all. Maybe put it in a box, forever LOL.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #24
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds good. I will pickup some O-Rings or some silicone gasket maker at the auto parts store.

Here is another dumb question/statement, to make sure that I am understanding about the 88 models. Ezgo started changing things on the cart in between 87 & 88, and then again in 88-89? The reason I think this is because while shopping for a new carb, some would say it fit from 82-87 or 82-88, and some would say 88 only, then 89-94. So it sounds like 88 was a trial and error year?
Also Cart Around refereed to my muffler that it should attach at the top not the side like the 87 does. Here is the question part... Is my cart more of an 87 in terms of finding parts, or is it going to be a combination of both, based on the way my existing fuel pump looks compared to the new one I purchased (better comparison pictures will be posted tonight)?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

To all:
Verdict is in, and..... we have a spring!

Next question is two parts.
1.) if I left the cart do I need to get a different size shocks for the front? I think I need to replace them anyway, the rubber bushings look shot.
2.) I have coil springs on the back, how do I beef the backend up, so when the seat is installed it won’t be squatting? Are the air bags an option?

Also that’s WD-40 on the front shock, I had a stubborn nut.

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Fuel pump is off! See pictures. I didn’t take the new one out due to the fact I will most likely be returning it. I have them turned the same direction based on the inlet and outlet arrows.
I found an old manual on here that Cart Around posted for someone else that is for an 85. The carb was the exact same as the one I have. However the fuel pump looks different from the one that I bought too. In the 85 manual and the 88 manual it looks like both the inlet and outlet are both pointing in an upward direction, so not sure what this new one goes to that I bought. I might try to clean this pump out some since it is off. Wish me luck!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Does anyone know if that little metal washer goes under the fuel pump. When I took it off earlier it fell on the ground. I wouldn’t think it would because there is a rubber o ring on the bottom of the pump
Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #28
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I left the washer off, and put everything back on. I am happy to report, this cart runs like a dream! Cleaning the fuel pump was pretty simple. I didn’t make it to the auto parts store for the O RING for the oil pump. That will be added on to my list for this weekend.

Also, I guess per the sites rules I will start another post in the forum to update the progress of my rebuild.

I would appreciate it if we can finish discussing the purpose of the spring on the throttle cable; do I need to do anything different with it?
Also the two other questions I posted earlier about the suspension.

Again I want to thank you all for helping me get this far in the project. You all don’t know how much it means to me to get this cart running. Makes me feel like a kid again riding around my grandparents yard. So Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #29
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Great!! Glad you got it running.
Originally there was an insulator block about 3/16" thick made out of some kind of plastic that went between the fuel pump and engine case, mine broke in half many years ago and they're not available anymore. So yes I too was forced to mount it directly to the case, Haven't had any problems with it.........

In case you're wondering, if you do eliminate the oil injection mix the fuel/oil at 128:1. That's exactly 1oz oil to 1 gallon of regular gas, not premium. I mix it in a 5 gallon can using a glass measuring cup with 5oz oil, shake it swish it roll it across the yard then pour it in........

The purpose of the throttle spring is to prevent backfire, it needs to be adjusted correctly. The object here is to have the throttle lever completely closed before the ignition shuts down when letting off the gas pedal, place the cable stop with tension on the spring (throttle lever closed) and gas pedal released.........

Can't help you much on a lift, I don't think kits are out there for these years. You'll probably have to make your own spacer blocks for the springs front and rear, and then either extend the shock mounts or get longer shocks.....

Thanks for the pics confirming you do indeed have the throttle spring
Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #30
Familys88ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dabble Inn. I did still retain the insulator block and little gasket that was under it. After I put the fuel pump back on, my wife came into the garage, and said here is a little washer on the floor do you need this? Apparently there were 2 washers (1 on each bolt) on the bolts between the insulator block and pump. It tightened down fine, and ran great without them.

The cart didn't backfire last night on my quick test drive, but I will check it like you have described.

I found a few lift kits with blocks, but not sure about them. I will make a post in the lifted cart section to see if anyone there can help.

Again thank you for all your help. I will start another post to show my rebuild progress and I'm sure I will have many more questions for you in it.

Tags
1988 ezgo, 1988 marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO