lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default 1989 ezgo

I got a 1989 ezgo in my shop that needs a throttle cable. It has the 2PG engine. I have ran into this with later model ezgo's about the year model. According to ezgo they made only the 3pg engine in 1989. This cart don't have that engine . I am assuming the part I need is for an 88 which shows the throttle cable for that year only. Am I correct on this ?
Manuf.code BO189 ser #514555
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 ezgo

My marathon was a 1989 with 3pg. Does the spark plug go straight up and down or is it a little angled into the head?

Maybe someone swapped it? Either way, I don't know that it would make a huge difference for the throttle cable itself. It's just a piece if wire in a sheath...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

We have run into that a couple of times on here. Some very early 89s have the 88 2pg.

You probably already have it, but here is the 88 manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1988 EZGO Marathon Owner's Manual.pdf (6.82 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
We have run into that a couple of times on here. Some very early 89s have the 88 2pg.

You probably already have it, but here is the 88 manual.
I have it but probably couldn't find it so thanks . I ordered the cable for an 1988 yesterday as it is probably the one I need.

This cart has only one tiny strand of wire left on it and is drove by a lady who would panic for sure if it broke.

I do remember from years ago working on these carts if the throttle plate were to break it would go wide open .

The regulator is working fine so again thanks. Luck or not we got it.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Here's a pic of the throttle cable on an 88 I worked on a while back, notice how it has a built in spring for the backfire thing. I'm very curious if the one you ordered will have it too, if it does I'd like to get one for my 85 to eliminate the pen spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-28_13.20.01_LI.jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Color me surprised. Page F-3 of the 88 manual shows that as a factory setup. You learn something every day.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Color me surprised. Page F-3 of the 88 manual shows that as a factory setup. You learn something every day.
I do also. I also forget sometimes what I have learned
One reason I try and keep at it.
Got to exercise the mind just like the body. I worked at a golf course that had a fleet of these carts when I first went to work in 96 and kept all these things in stock. They probably threw them away when I retired 8 years ago. We got rid of the carts when the 4-strokes became the thing to buy but still had the inventory of these older things.
By the way all our carts back then were oil-injected and never once had an issue with them. I kept the oil tanks topped off each week we gassed the carts which helped. I was the mechanic back then and didn't want a mistake made because of no oil. I know we ran these carts a few years before the 4-strokes came.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Here's a pic of the throttle cable on an 88 I worked on a while back, notice how it has a built in spring for the backfire thing. I'm very curious if the one you ordered will have it too, if it does I'd like to get one for my 85 to eliminate the pen spring.
I hope it does because the person that owns this cart told me his wife said it backfired and this one didn't have that spring on it.
I ordered it from amazon so if it was not the right one I could return it. Looks like a week or more before I get it Dabble Inn but I will let you know if that spring is there. Hope so but I got my doubts. Tom
Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Thanks for letting me know Trig......

To all;

I've mentioned that spring a few times in the past but probably didn't explain myself well enough lol, so just the other day while out golfing with the owner of the buggy I thought of taking the pic for future use on here. It's a pretty good design idea by the factory huh? I don't know what years had it though, My 85 does not.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
newtjl
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post

Thanks for the picture Trig. I made a homemade one today and put on a par car that I had been battling for some time. I let my son drive it for 9 holes and it never backfired. I think he had it backfiring every hole yesterday. Im making up one of these things up and sticking one every two stroke I see from now on, whether it thinks it needs it or not!
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO