lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
disny4fun
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Medalist-Rear wheels only turn when jacked up

I have read every post I can find on this issue and still unclear on the problem. Cart stopped moving and was making a terrible grinding noise. With the cart on the ground, the wheels will not turn and the caster nut does not spin. With the cart jacked up, the wheels will turn and continues to make the grinding noise. We acquired this used cart and have never changed the differential fluid. We have not yet checked the splines to see if they have worn down, but I’m assuming this is the problem. What is the easiest way to check this AND is there anything else that could be causing this issue that I haven’t mentioned?
disny4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 94 Medalist-Rear wheels only turn when jacked up

Pull off the dust cover and hit the gas. See of the castle nut souns but the wheel does not. I'd check drivers side first that usually seems to be the one that goes.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
disny4fun
Not Yet Wild

I believe this is what you’re recommending?

With the cart on the ground, the wheels will not turn and the caster nut does not spin. With the cart jacked up, the wheels will turn and continues to make the grinding noise.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Have you checked both sides to see if the castle nut spins on one of them?

If nothing is spinning then sounds like it stripped on the other end or something else is gone awry inside the trans. I'd start by pulling the axles out of the tubes
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
disny4fun
Not Yet Wild

Neither side spins when it is on the ground. They do spin when it is jacked up off the ground.

If there is no differential fluid (haven’t checked yet...just asking), would that cause the tires not to turn or are the axles more than likely stripped?
Old 06-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Could be stripped axles on the inside, synchros, or something else internal. Hard to tell without opening it up. It's rare for those transaxle to fail, but if it was run with no oil then its certainly possible.

It could also simply be shifter out of adjustment. I'd disconnect the cables and shift it manually at the trans itself and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
disny4fun
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 94 Marathon-Rear wheels only turn when jacked up

Will be working on it the next few days hopefully. Praying it’s something simple.

**EDIT** I’ve got a 94 Marathon....not Medalist! Apparently I had been doing too much reading!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
disny4fun
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 94 Marathon-Rear wheels only turn when jacked up

Pulled everything apart today and the splines on the input shaft are worn. I know we can replace the input shaft, but is there any alternative other than replacing the motor since the splines are also worn on the motor end?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO