lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #51
ezgoalan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 marathon 2pg wont spark

Maybe someone can answer this question. I have two hei mods one is a BWD cbe4p it gets very hot and burns up with in a mile of driving but the cart runs perfect until it does. The other hei is a no name brand that says low saturation from EBay ($ and it barely gets warm and has not burnt up so far BUT from idle to about 1/4 peddle its likeit floods real bad or timing is off but from 1/4 to full it runs fine. I can can put the BWD back on and it doesn't flood it runs fine. So my question is what is the difference and why does one get so hot and the other one don't ???? And one makes it flood and the other doesn't
ezgoalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #52
jeffrun
Gone Wild

I understand the low saturation hei limit the current thru coil and hei to reduce the heat in both, If you are low rpm or ideling, the s/g is not charging and your getting a low voltage output from coil(yellow spark) and that is not burning all the fuel proper, so when you speed up at 2500+ voltage goes to 14V+ and you drive more current thru coil,so it fires plugs with the higher blue spark voltage.
Motorola produces about 3-4 chips in there hei, each does different functions,limit rpm,limit current, and dwell, so its hard to tell which one your getting. On the issue with the other hei thats getting hot, two things you could do there is 1) larger heat sink, 2) ballast resistor in front of coil to limit current.
be sure you have a good ground from hei plate to neg on battery.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #53
ezgoalan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
I understand the low saturation hei limit the current thru coil and hei to reduce the heat in both, If you are low rpm or ideling, the s/g is not charging and your getting a low voltage output from coil(yellow spark) and that is not burning all the fuel proper, so when you speed up at 2500+ voltage goes to 14V+ and you drive more current thru coil,so it fires plugs with the higher blue spark voltage.
Motorola produces about 3-4 chips in there hei, each does different functions,limit rpm,limit current, and dwell, so its hard to tell which one your getting. On the issue with the other hei thats getting hot, two things you could do there is 1) larger heat sink, 2) ballast resistor in front of coil to limit current.
be sure you have a good ground from hei plate to neg on battery.
Thanks Jeffrun the heatsink I have now is 1/2 in thick x2in x 5 so I think I have the covered. But I may try a ballast resistor or just try a whole different hei exactly like someone else uses because this is a first for me to have the heis do totally two different thing because I haven't read yet that has happen to anyone one their cart. I have changed plenty of then in chevys before and never saw a difference.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #54
ezgoalan
Not Yet Wild

Went back to part store and swapped the hei that was getting hot for another and sure enough the new one doesn't get near as hot. I had asked the coil would make them hot the guy said no that they shouldn't get as hot as I had explained so he replied by saying that maybe the hei was a bad batch. I swapped for the same kind of hei and this one don't get as hot so its all good for now.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #55
dcotton4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Like my friend who owns a auto repair shop says "New means new and doesn't mean the part is good" Sad to say that so many new parts are crap anymore.
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #56
ezgoalan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcotton4 View Post
Like my friend who owns a auto repair shop says "New means new and doesn't mean the part is good" Sad to say that so many new parts are crap anymore.
Your right I once bought a new car battery from a parts store and it was bad and a set of plugs for a 350 Chevy and 2 of those were bad so buyer beware. Good thing for warranties and receipts.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #57
kantuckian
Gone Wild

I am having same problem when i push the pedal it will fire 1 time and will not fire while turning over when i release the pedal it will fire 1 time Question what is hei mean
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #58
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

HEI means high energy ignition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_ignition

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...3pg-carts.html

Read this thread. Dave Box fixed this guy's cart for him. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-no-spark.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO