lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2014 F/I Drive Adjustments Needed

Just brought home our latest toy yesterday. We picked up a brand new '14 "Drive" Fuel Injected Yamaha. It runs and drives great and has a 4yr warranty. This is my first new cart and I don't want to ruin the warranty. Adjusting anything, I have been told will void all; however I am still intrigued by the whole speed issue. I measure the bolt on the governor, so I could put it back to factory specs, but I played around with it a little and no extra speed. I tightened it in a full inch on the bolt and nothing, so I put it all back to stock. Anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the new F/I models? Are there any mods that can be done safely that won't void warranty? I welcome any and all information. Thanks.

JD
gadawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2014 F/I Drive Adjustments Needed

Leave the 10mm nut at the factory setting. Take a plastic zip tie and squeeze the spring and tighten the ziptie. It's also possible the throttle cable needs adjusting maybe too much slack in it from the factory. Also I'm not 100% sure about this but even with the governor completely bypassed it's possible that yamaha put a rpm limiter built into the ecu of these fuel injected carts. Cg tech plowmans or small block will probably chime in a offer there 2 cents.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks dbmachine. When you say zip tie the spring, is this the same spring the nut would tighten up on? Just want to make sure I am putting it on the right spot. Thanks.

JD
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yes sir same spring. Squeeze it to whatever length you want and tighten the zip tie.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks again, db.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hey db, I was wondering how much experience you have with the new "Drive" model F/I. I followed your instructions, but I had to squeeze the spring almost completely together and was only able to get the machine up to 21mph. Factory was already at 15-16 average, so about a 5mph increase. It has 23x10x14 Backlash X tires on it, if that matters. I took the zip tie off, after the test run, because I am really paranoid of the RPMs and messing something up. When I talk to others, they have told me that I should only have to tighten the nut a few turns and it would bump the speed up. After this trial run, I find that very hard to believe. Am I being too cautious? I really don't know how I would explain this one to the boss lady, if I blew up her brand new Yamaha only after one day. Please don't get me wrong, I am completely happy with 15mph, but if I new for certain that I would not damage it and could get the 20pmh, I would do it. Just knowing I have the top end speed would be nice, but nothing I will lose sleep over if I don't have it. Thanks.

JD
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Whoever told you "just a few turns" doesnt know about yamaha governors, it takes a significant amount of movement on the spring to make a big difference. If you squeeze the spring 'till it touches the bracket, you should get more than 21mph with 23" tires. I feel ziptie-ing the spring enough to get 20mph is safe for the motor. Just dont forget to remove the ziptie when sending it in to the dealer. I have the "dealer level" FI diagnostic tool, it does not store max rpm to "rat you out" as far as i have seen.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I don't have any experience with the fi model since I've never owned one. I've owned 3 g29 carbruator models though. Vast knowledge with those when it comes to service, jetting, clutching and performance from all the trial and error mods I've done in the past and present. I've read lots of post from smallblock and cgtech from the forums here and have had lengthy conversations with mr plowman on the phone. The only thing that I'm not quite 100% about is if the FI have a rpm limiter built into the ecu to prevent excessive rpms. The 21mph is about max you really are gonna get with over sized tires with the governor zip tied. The people getting more speed than those numbers including myself have over sized tires (22-23"), the full plowmans performance kit that consist of air box mods, jetting which yours has injector, new wider and shorter belt, clutch springs and high flow air filter. Also as well as having the governor completely bypassed and having intake and exhaust valves speced the mr plowmans recommendations. With all those mods on a stock yamaha engine speeds of 30-33 mph are possible.

Back to your cart. 21-22 is about the most your gonna get. It takes more than just a few turns of the nut to get the speeds more. Some carts from the factory don't have the throttle cables adjusted properly which can rob you a few mph as well. With my cart with the governor eliminated I could easily blow it up while revving it in neutral because there is no load on the engine. On the highway at 33 mph maxed out the rpms get high but not really enough to cause long term damage. Going down a long hill at max speeds would be a different story though. I have a yamaha tachometer hooked to the coil wire that shows me the rpms so that I know what not to exceed. Your ear is your friend from over revving but you have nothing to worry about by zip tieing the spring all the way.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
gadawg31
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Cool, thanks db. You explanation makes me feel a little better. I guess I need to find me a nice looking tack, so when my son takes it out, I can threaten (LOL) him on what RPMs not to exceed if he starts heading down hill. I too have been seeing a lot of Mr. Plowman's articles and I took a look at his website today as well. I guess for now I can try the zip tie and find me a tach. You would have any recommendations for a good tach would you? I have a few accessory websites I have been looking through, but haven't really looked for a tach. Again, thanks for the input/advice. I like these sites, just for the fact of having a little peace of mind. Take care.

JD
Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Tiny tach is one and the other is made by yamaha which is the same as the tiny tach but has an hour meter built in that will help you keep track or service intervals. Very simple you wrap a small gauge piece of wire around the coil wire 7 times where it goes into the spark plug very easy and great piece of mind.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha