lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
FarminCart
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 Ez-go Rings Beveled side up

Greetings all. Okay, I researched the forums about rings and bevel side up. I rebuilt this 244cc and realized after I had compression of 90 that the rings are supposed to go in bevel side up. I have the engine apart again and the rings are out.

There are no "dots" to indicate "this side up" However one ring has the letter "R" stamped on it but the other ring does not.

Please see attached pic. The ring on the left catches the light and I'm presuming that is the bevel side up? That is the one with the stamped "R" and is facing up.

The ring on the right is flipped over and the light does not catch the top of the ring. Presuming because the bevel side is down?

Please confirm my thoughts that R means "right side up" or not. I await an answer and this bad boy is going back together before sun down.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring bevel.jpg (70.8 KB, 0 views)
FarminCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 Ez-go Rings Beveled side up

Hard to tell from a photo, but the ring on the left does appear to be bevel side up. the ring on the right I cannot tell.
One thing that concerns me a bit is the rings do not look real flat anymore. You need to be careful installing and removing rings. You want to expand them while keeping them on a flat plane, you don't want to "spiral" them on, that distorts them, and for a ring to work properly it needs to be very flat, and the ring groove needs to be very clean and straight.
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
FarminCart
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the feedback. I'm trying to be as careful as possible with the rings. I think installing them incorrectly could have caused more harm then good. When I removed the piston, the rings were compressed into the grooves so much, it was difficult to pop them back out without causing damage. I will evaluate their condition and determine if replacing them is a wise way to go.

Kind Regards.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarminCart View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I'm trying to be as careful as possible with the rings. I think installing them incorrectly could have caused more harm then good. When I removed the piston, the rings were compressed into the grooves so much, it was difficult to pop them back out without causing damage. I will evaluate their condition and determine if replacing them is a wise way to go.

Kind Regards.
Yeah the rings sticking in the grooves is a VERY bad thing! You may need to buy new rings. Unlikely that you damaged the ring grooves, it is probably just the rings. These are WAY more precision parts than most people think.
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
FarminCart
Not Yet Wild

Yes the rings are a critical piece, there is no question there. I put the rings through constringent testing and measuring before reinserting. Installed in the correction direction and the compression went from 90 to 120. Amazing how the smallest things make the biggest difference.

The cart runs well. Still some bugs to work out. Motor mounts, brakes, and a sun roof.

Back to the garage I go.

Thanks.

Tags
bevel, piston installation, ring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO