lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Doesn't stop charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
Ok - I'll plug it back on and leave it for the rest of the day and see how we do.
You might want to make that trip to the cart shop first. I'd feel better if you got a clean bill of health for the charger before leaving it cycling on/off for a day
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You might want to make that trip to the cart shop first. I'd feel better if you got a clean bill of health for the charger before leaving it cycling on/off for a day

Headed that way now actually.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
Headed that way now actually.
Don't text and drive

Be sure to explain the charger cuts off/on over time... You don't want them plugging it in and telling you it works. Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also, reset the OBC so You start with a fresh profile.

Just unplug the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes, or leave it off while You take the charger to the shop.

If You have one battery using more water than the others, it is important that You measure the voltage of each battery while they are still charging.

Wait until they are close to the end of the charge cycle, but before the charger turns OFF and measure each battery individually.

Once the charging current is removed (charger OFF) You will no longer be able to measure the impact of the charging impedance of each individual battery.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcoursemonkey View Post
OBC= On board charger or computer? Ours are stand-alone chargers and they have swapped between 4 of them. That wouldn't rule out an issue with the cart in my case. My batteries are visibly swollen out the sides.
OBC = On Board Computer
visibly swollen is a sign that batteries are bad
do an OBC reset for the cart that is not fully charging
Quote:
Resetting the Club Car On board computer - reset the OBC

To reset the OBC the following must be done in this order:

If no Tow/Run Switch then skip that step

• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse to Neutral
• Tow/Run Switch to Tow
• Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
• Put the Tow/Run to Run
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse
• Key Switch to On
• Press the throttle pedal down (hold it to the floor)

The reverse buzzer will sound (sometimes) and go off in about 30 seconds.
Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset.
After 5 min release the throttle pedal

To reconnect the OBC back into the system:
• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Neutral
• Tow/Run switch to Tow
• Reconnect the Batt – wire to the battery minus
terminal on the battery pack.
• Tow/Run switch to Run
• Key Switch to ON
Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #16
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have had the same problem on and off over the course of the last two years or so with my 2001 Club Car DS. My postings on the issue are buried somewhere in the distant past postings on this forum. In addition to the symptoms you describe, the orange battery warning light on the dash panel often lights up for 10 seconds, off for 4 seconds, then back on for 10 seconds, off for 4 seconds ad infinitum until I unplug the charger and the light comes on for 10 seconds, indicating a fault while charging and charge incomplete. Sometimes I can get it out of the issue by unplugging the charger plug from the receptacle on the buggy and plugging it back in again with the charger still connected to the mains supply but even that doesn't work any more. I've come to the conclusion that either my onboard computer is faulty (expensive to change), or the charger is faulty (more expensive to change) or I have one or more of my 6 x 8V batteries that is not taking a full charge, which is quite possible as they are just over 6 years old (even more expensive to change). At present, I just leave the buggy on charge for 7 to 10 hours after each full round of golf and then switch the charger off. It still gets me round my next 18 holes with no warning that the batteries are getting low. By the way, I have been advised that the onboard computer reset routine described in a previous post does not work on buggies built after about 2000. It certainly doesn't work on mine. The advice I have been given is that simply disconnecting both the main feed black and red cables from the battery pack for 10 minutes with the tow/run switch on 'tow' should reset the computer, if it's still resettable, that is.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Don't text and drive

Be sure to explain the charger cuts off/on over time... You don't want them plugging it in and telling you it works. Keep us posted.
I was getting gas. :)

Their claim was that you're supposed to unplug it when it's done charging which is contrary to what everyone else has ever told me. They didn't have a Club Car to test it on "except one that's fully charged" and given his statement, he wasn't going to try it.

He said to run the batteries down to where you notice it slowing down then charge it as matter of course. And to try that this time to see if it charges normally.
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is one uninformed Golf Cart shop You should not use any more....

Do the OBC reset (remove power for 10 minutes), then plug and let it charge until the OBC times out or it finishes.

Take individual battery voltages while is still charging and the pack voltage is near +60v so You will know how well the pack is balanced.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #19
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I can recommend Sergio's advice. He was really helpful when I posted my thread on this subject.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #20
rib33024

This thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W View Post
I can recommend Sergio's advice. He was really helpful when I posted my thread on this subject.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-charging.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car