lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #1
mike w
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 after rebuild up hill seems worse

I have a 1985 G1 golf cart a little about the cart. I've had it for about 8 years when I first bought it the previous owner had to choke the cart to get it going. As time went on even when I choked the cart it would turn over but would not fire sometimes With the great help of people here I changed the seals and the fuel pump with no luck. Finally after cleaning the carb and still not having any luck I bought a carb at a local cart shock. It worked the cart would run with no choke. Ok now to today late last year the cart started acting up I had to start choking again but it would run. This year the wife and I take the cart out (I live in a golf cart friendly community )so we are out riding and we stop at the lake and when we go to take of the motor would turn over but not fire even with choking the carb nothing. I finally do a top end rebuild new piston and cylinder. Cart takes off and drives. Now brings me to my problem on flat ground the cart runs fine 14 -15 mph with phone gps going up hill is horrible very slow even slower then rebuild. It makes it up the hill but not like before. Any help would be appreciated Rebuild was completed 2 days ago and I did away with injection and I'm mixing the fuel First gallon was 50-1 for break in. I've backed it off to 70-1.
mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Nikwho
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 after rebuild up hill seems worse

Sounds like the clutch might prematurely engaging. Does it feel more sluggish on the flats, too? Have you tried the muffler baking?
Nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would look at two issues first, one is the muffler they plug up on G1 its very common. Try sticking a heavy wire up the tailpipe and see if anything is in there. Second is the CVT if rpm are off it wont have the power it should, how is your belt? 1" wide is the wear limit and they are losing a little power there, it may be worse if your clutch sheaves are worn then the belt looks thinner to the clutches New is 1 3/16. I find with worn (usually the alum parts wear mostly) sheaves a 1 1/4 wide belt works better, same length. How are the buttons (that ride on the ramps on the back side) and spring on the secondary clutch? Lube the center shaft on that inside the spring. I would say those two issue are large causes of power loss, not saying there is not a motor problem but if it runs ok otherwise I'd check those. Also check the airbox make sure it is sealed properly, check boot on carb for cracks/leaks. Check to see carb is opening all the way with throttle.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
mike w
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. I have never looked at the belts. I will start there. I will let everyone know what I find thanks
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
mike w
Not Yet Wild

I changed the drive belt and cart still runs the same. The wife and I were out for a ride the other night and half way through the ride the cart started hesitating and sputtering so much so I didn't think we would get home I reach down and pulled the choke and it took off let off the choke same thing sputtering. So by now I'm thinking I'm going to need new seals. When I was having troubles before the rebuild I had bought a new carb. I thought what the heck I'll put on the new carb I backed out the air mixture 1 turn and hit the gas. Wow! What a different cart. On flat ground it runs with governor 19-20 mph before carb swap 14-16. Totally different cart. Are these carbs mikuni carbs?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check compression I know you just did a rebuild but weird things could happen did you gap the rings properly?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha