lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
mwollerman2011
Getting Wild

Default 94 txt backfires and low power

I have a 94 ezgo txt it backfires when you let up on the throttle and it is very slow off the start seems as if the timing is off a little bit and is low on power the valve lash is right according to what little research I have done I had a new timing belt put on it and when I bought the cart it was not running somebody had wired the starter motor backwards so it was spinning the wrong direction got that figured out but there is no timing marks on the engine or gears that I can see am I missing something with the timing
mwollerman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 txt backfires and low power

The backfire is normally caused by the throttle plate not closing all the way when the pedal is released. With the key off, listen for the click of the pedal switch as you press the pedal and watch the throttle plate. It should not move initially until the pedal travels around 1/2". Simply lengthen the control rod on the linkage to keep it closed. As far as timing, have you gotten a service guide from the tech section? It details how to go about setting timing.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
mwollerman2011
Getting Wild

no I do not have a service manual and cant find one that really go into the timing of the engine. I have found a couple that looked to be the right ones but didn't download the pages that I needed. I will check the throttle plate tonight when I get home do you know where I can find a service guide online that you would recommend and thank you for the help I appreciate it
Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

This should be the right one:

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
mwollerman2011
Getting Wild

thank you that's what I have been trying to find and just havnt been able to accomplish it. ill play with it a little more later this evenin and see what is goin on entirely and reset the timing according to the manual now is it possible that the driven clutch is locked and not resetting to a lower gear? could that be my problem with no low end torque? is so can it be rebuilt and the general cost amount?
Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

If at rest the belt is not being forced to the outside of the driven then it is stuck. You may want to get a compression tester and see what the compression is. Then check for good fuel flow at the carb by pulling the fuel line and turning the engine over. Carb could be dirty. Compression will tell you a lot about the health of the engine. If you put a board across the engine compartment and take it for a test ride, see if the belt is cycling in and out of the clutches. Easiest way to check that. Belt should be 1 3/16" wide, if not it can slip causing it to seem like a loss of power. You've got some homework to do lol. This manual will help with the trouble shooting:

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/605586.pdf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO