lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 2pg no start.

I have a question on an 88 2pg. I'm having troubles with it starting, I think I have multiple problems, but want to diagnose them 1 by 1, so that way if I have to pull the engine, I only have to do it once ( hopefully).

First is it wont fire. even with a little shot of start all. It has good spark, I even tested it with 2 different testers to make sure. It cranks over to beat all, every once in a while it sounds like it wants to start, but wont.

Now I do believe I have a fuel pump issue, as there is no fuel visibly being sucked through the filter when cranking, But it should still fire on starter fluid.

Any suggestions on what to start with to diagnose it.
geer hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 2pg no start.

I personally would take off the fuel line where it connects to the carb and crank it and see if the pump is pumping. That way at least you'll know if you are getting anything to the carb.
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can do that. I want to take the fuel line off, and blow back into the tank also to make sure the pickup isn't blocked inside the tank.

That's actually a great idea Barnsworth, That reminded me, I have had to do that to a couple tractors with fuel pumps, where I had to start at the tank and bleed the fuel system all the way to the carb in order for it to pump. It got air bound.

Last edited by geer hed; 07-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Add additional comments
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, so today my son moved 1 wire on the starter, and it fired. It actually sat there running, so I know there's hope.

I checked the fuel pump, and it seems to be pumping plenty gas.

Now before this, it would crank over in forward only, When I put it in reverse, it would not crank over, only the backup buzzer would work.

When he showed me that it was firing, I switched it to reverse and tried that, and it worked, It not only cranked over, but it fired. We stopped, jacked up the rear wheels, switched it to forward again, and now the same thing. It cranks over in forward, but will not start, and when we switch it to reverse, nothing, not even the backup buzzer.

I'm guessing the next step would be to rip out the F/R switch and tear it apart and see what's going on inside that bugger.

If you guys have any other suggestions please let me know.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There is a microswitch on the passenger side of the FnR switch. Its sole purpose is to turn on the backup buzzer when it's in reverse.

It gets power from the hot side of the key switch. The buzzer should make noise any time you are in reverse. That's with the key on, or off.

You need to check the power wires from the battery to the solenoid, through the fuse, to the key switch, and over to the microswitch..
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know I checked and cleaned all the wires on the FnR switch, the solenoid, and the battery.

Do I need to pull the FnR switch in order to check the micro switch and the wire to it ?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, This FnR switch has two micro switches on it.

One towards the driver side= has a black wire that goes to the ignition switch, and a red one that goes to the buzzer, and then a black wire that goes from the buzzer to the solenoid.

The one towards the passenger side= has a red wire that goes to the opposite poll on the ignition switch and a black wire that goes to the micro switch on the pedal.

I removed the FnR switch, and cleaned all 4 contacts. I also removed and cleaned the contacts on both micro switches, and tested them for continuity, and function. Both worked great. And I used dielectric grease on all contacts to help delay more corrosion.

I put it all back together and tried it. It cranks over now in both forward and reverse, and the buzzer drives me NUTS.....(that may have to go). It puffed a couple times like it wanted to fire, but that was all.

Where do I go from here?

What does the igniter do, and is there a way to test it, to see if it is working correctly?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

Have you cleaned out the carb bowl (possible water and dirt) and make sure the jets are not plugged? Also, how is the compression?
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
geer hed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Compression is not bad, 115 psi, if I remember correct. I do know it was above 100.

I was thinking about pulling the carb and checking it. I also have a couple other things to check out on it. I am hoping to fiddle with it tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There are three brass jets that you need to unscrew, and clean.

Under the needle valve.

In the bolt that holds the bowl on (There are also cross drilled hole in that bolt.)

The long stem that the bowl screws to.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO