lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 480 drive clutch

Took the dogs for a ride this evening and had a few issues.
I had a sudden loud noise where I thought something had blown up.
I pulled the cart to the side and took a look under the seats.
I saw nothing unusual.
I again started the cart and it sounded ok.
As I turned around and headed for home, I got near the house I again heard a horrible noise. I stopped and again saw nothing. In an attempt to get the cart to the shop I tried to limp at a slow speed. The drive clutch appears to be the issue as it did not let me start out at a slow speed. It appears that the drive clutch needs to be rebuilt. I could not find any rebuild kit on any ezgo site, nor any mention of rebuild parts on any other cart site.
Ezgo wants almost $600.00 for a drive clutch. They must be out of their minds. I saw another site that wanted more than $900.00 for a drive clutch.

I am looking for a rebuild kit. I have a ezgo drive clutch puller, and some know how as I used to work on outboards. I have more than my share of tools.
Any ideas as to whom would have a kit ?
Is this rebuild a fairly easy task ?
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 480 drive clutch

Okay, a little more information.
I removed the drive clutch from the cart, no easy task I may add, and tore it apart . I found nothing broke inside, the spring was in one piece, it was not bent, and both of the bent ends were there.
There was much dust and rust, but all three of the dogs were in good condition and operating. The pins were also in good condition and there was very little play due to wear. The inside it of the drive clutch needs a good cleaning and lubrication and I think it would be in good operating condition.
I also took off the driven clutch to inspect that. I found out also to be in fairly decent condition. The three nylon buttons that I had replaced the last time I serviced it were in good condition with a very little wear.
I will put that back together and put both back into the cart.
With that said, I am still unsure of just what transpired last evening to cause the drastic sound and performance change.
I see no single thing that I would consider significant enough to alter the performance that I described last evening.
Do you think my just cleaning up and lubricating these two clutches would be enough to return the cart to its previous condition, or should I look elsewhere.
I did not raise the cart to check to see if the clutches opened and closed prior to removing both clutches, as I was reasonably sure that the issue was the drive clutch. A lesson learned I suppose.
Would a issue with the the rear differential cause the issues I described last evening?
I am open to any suggestions prior to me replacing the clutches.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Any insight as to what I should use to lube the dogs and rollers in the drive clutch ?Oil,grease,silicone?
Should I even lube them.I saw no trace of any lubrication when I took the clutch apart.Would appreiciate any input offered.

Reggie
Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #4
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Use a dry spray lube in the drive clutch. Check your rear brake hub splines, when they strip out they can make a nasty sound, broken splines will bind up enough to keep you moving until they clear, then nothing.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a little more severe than I first thought.

Tore both clutches apart and put them back on the cart.
Awful sound still persisted, and still felt a lack of power while on the jack stands.
Took a compression test and I have 0 % in the rear cylinder.

It would appear that I threw a rod or burnt a piston.I did not test the front cylinder as it did not matter.

What is the best way to go. New engine, or should I attempt to rebuild this one?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Reggie
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO