lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Default Wheel Bolt Length for Spacers

Hello,

I purchased some 1.5" wheel spacers from HERE. In the attached picture, it seems like my standard Club Car DS Wheel Bolts are too short for me to get ample threading on the lug nuts.

Anybody have any experience? I guess I'll reach out the the mfg. tomorrow, but just figured somebody here has seen this. FYI, the bolt is 1/2"-20.

Thanks for any input

Aluminum Wheel Spacer:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.7 KB, 0 views)
nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
TX_RDXGuy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wheel Bolt Length for Spacers

I just installed 1" spacers on a CC Precedent this weekend and saw similar results. I was able to get about 75% of the overall nut length covered, which should be fine. I used antiseize on the threads and torqued them to 90 lbs.

If your spacer studs are screw-in vs. press in, I'd suggest putting them in with a thread locking product.

Keep us posted on what the mfg. says.
TX_RDXGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I don't think you have correct spacers for your cart. I would not try to run those.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
I don't think you have correct spacers for your cart. I would not try to run those.
Really? I ordered the ones that said EZ go or Club Car....

What makes you think they're the wrong ones?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
TX_RDXGuy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The "rule of thumb" I have followed on standard nuts is to get it threaded on the width of the bolt or in this case, the stud. I don't think you're quite there.

I put a 1" set on the rear of my CC Precedent this weekend and the bolts didn't full thread either. They did thread on about 20mm or 3/4" which I felt was safe.
TX_RDXGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

In addition to being too short (studs), it looks like you might also need to use "conical" style lug nuts. From the pic, its hard to tell but it looks like the inside seat of those lug holes are dished??? If thats the case, do NOT use regular "flat" stlye lug nuts to hold those spacers to the hub.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
rib33024

Acorn lug nut with taper. Does the in side of the spacer look like this tapered

Or a Lug nut with no taper

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies. They are convex nuts and the holes machined into the spacer are concave. To me, the studs don't seem to have enough purchase into the nuts.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

All,

I emailed Summit Performance, and I got a really quick response from Dave, the owner of the company. It was reassuring to hear his response, feel free to chime in below with any thoughts (he also said he might login to answer any specific questions).

Jeff, my name is Dave and I’m the owner and head of product development at Summit Performance.

Anytime an aftermarket product is developed it must start with any design constraints of the mating parts and in this case, it’s the OEM studs on EZGO and Club Cars are ~ 3/4" long (Useable thread) from the manufacture. The original steel stamped rims had a small seat and much shorter lug nuts.

The size and taper of the pocket for the lug nuts is the most important feature as this is where both the radial and axial load is focused. The standard 120* included angle conical nuts were standard from the OEM and are what is used here and at a depth to allow the lug nut to come within ~1/8” of the hub face the same as the OEM steel rims.

The lug nuts we provide with this product are a standard 120* automotive lug nut which is much longer then the OEM nuts and has a wider taper contact surface area which is important when aluminum is used, the down side is that it gives the visual appearance that the nut isn’t threaded on far enough as it is not flush with the OEM stud.
What is most important and what is not seen, is that the lug nut is coming within ~1/8” of the hub face which results is the same amount of threads engaged as the original OEM build.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Makes sense. I'd verify that the same amount of stud threads are used compared to the stock nuts.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car