lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cutting tool for dash mounted gauge

Used a Dremel to cut it close to the size needed and finished it with a utility knife.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use whatever you are familiar with. If you have never used a dremel cut off wheel before the dash of your golf cart may not be the best place to make your first test cuts. Everybody proficient with one has experienced the damage and the dangers these handheld motorized cutters can present.
I used a new razor knife in the soft plastic CC dash with good results. Establish the line with 1 or 2 medium pressure cuts before pushing the blade all the way through. Cutting a template out of paper and taping it on the dash with clear packing tape is a good idea ..... or a pencil tracing around the unit works too.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Use whatever you are familiar with. If you have never used a dremel cut off wheel before the dash of your golf cart may not be the best place to make your first test cuts. Everybody proficient with one has experienced the damage and the dangers these handheld motorized cutters can present.
I used a new razor knife in the soft plastic CC dash with good results. Establish the line with 1 or 2 medium pressure cuts before pushing the blade all the way through. Cutting a template out of paper and taping it on the dash with clear packing tape is a good idea ..... or a pencil tracing around the unit works too.
Thanks guys. Lot's of good techniques here and the seller of my gauge also chimed in. Thanks ScottyB !
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Drill opposite corners. Cut a little under size with a coping saw. Finish with a file.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
When I installed mine I made a template out of an index card and used it to mark the dash. I then carefully scored it with a sharp utility knife. I then continued to score it until it cut through. I thought I would have to use my dremel but the material was soft enough the knife worked fine. Patience, my friend, patience. The flange is not very big so there is not much room for error.

I did this but I also used a drill bit in the corners first...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
2016CTD
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's what I did, worked great.
2016CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

If your cutting a circle, for a gauge, a correct sized "hole saw" is the best. For other shapes, a Dremel or spiral saw is the ticket. Slow and easy is the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140830_204115.jpg (490.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140922_122448.jpg (474.3 KB, 0 views)
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #18
2016CTD
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
If your cutting a circle, for a gauge, a correct sized "hole saw" is the best. For other shapes, a Dremel or spiral saw is the ticket. Slow and easy is the way.
For a hole saw in plastic, I'll drill the pilot hole slow then start the saw in reverse so it doesn't grab, then use it forward going slow.

Just a trick I learned many years ago.
2016CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016CTD View Post
For a hole saw in plastic, I'll drill the pilot hole slow then start the saw in reverse so it doesn't grab, then use it forward going slow.

Just a trick I learned many years ago.
Agree. For plastic make sure you use a saw designed for metal or as fine "toothed" as you can get.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
When I installed mine I made a template out of an index card and used it to mark the dash. I then carefully scored it with a sharp utility knife. I then continued to score it until it cut through. I thought I would have to use my dremel but the material was soft enough the knife worked fine. Patience, my friend, patience. The flange is not very big so there is not much room for error.
I agree some things are best done by hand!
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car