lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer Smoking

I am stumped... For some reason, my 48v to 12v voltage reducer started smoking when I was trying to wire turn signals and brake lights (previous owner had headlights and running lights wired).

Long story short, I took the reducer out and direct wired it to the positive and negative of the 48v battery pack because it was heating up. Once I connect the wires, it sparks (which I understand is normal), then the reducer heats up and then, after about a minute, it starts to smoke where the wires go in and out of it.

It is one of the cheap 'made in china' reducers. Is my reducer bad? I can't think of anything else that could be wrong...

It is a 2000 region club car 48v with brand new trojans 875's. Total battery pack voltage is about 50 volts, rested after being charged.

Thank you in advance for the help!!!
Golfinw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Smoking

Well, I continued my research and found through amazon reviews that I'm not the only one experiencing the unit getting hot and essentially melting. I'll check out the sponsors here and get one That is worth a darn. Wish the previous owner had done this as my headache and hours of wasted time would've been avoided today.

Any who, hope this information at least helps someone.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinw71 View Post
Well, I continued my research and found through amazon reviews that I'm not the only one experiencing the unit getting hot and essentially melting. I'll check out the sponsors here and get one That is worth a darn. Wish the previous owner had done this as my headache and hours of wasted time would've been avoided today.

Any who, hope this information at least helps someone.

I bought one for my DS last week from sponsor Carts Unlimited. I was nervous because the directions were awful but install was easy and Scotty and the forum members were a great help
nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
I bought one for my DS last week from sponsor Carts Unlimited. I was nervous because the directions were awful but install was easy and Scotty and the forum members were a great help
the directions are spot on .. BUT he is an ezgo guy

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer-.html

here is one i made for club cars

Old 04-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you both very much. Going to order one soon. Thx!!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
the directions are spot on .. BUT he is an ezgo guy

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducer-.html

here is one i made for club cars

It didn't ship with those directions
nnmsgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Our intention is put instruction in with all the products we ship. I apologize if you did not receive the instruction - it is posted on the web page where we sell the reducer in full size. Glad you were able to email me or come here and find what you needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car