lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What would cause this?

So cart has been running fine until I once again bring to a shoot. One night it was hard to start so i choked it and smelled it getting flooded so just let it turn over til start. Drove up the hill just fine and parked it. Next morning it wouldn’t turn over. It tried but kept stopping about an inch of turning. Pulled the plug and then hit the pedal only to get a face full of gas! Carb was full of gas when I pulled the air hose off it poured out. I had an extra carb to swap out so I put it on. Drove it a little and it ran like crap. Did the same thing with new carb by locking up due to excess gas in cylinder. So took out plug to release gas. Now there’s gas in the oil so I’m going to push it on trailer to take home, change oil and try to figure it out! Just need ideas where to start. Thanks for any suggestions. Only thing I haven’t replaced is fuel pump FYI.
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: What would cause this?

Gas was probably already in crankcase when you changed carb. Hope you didn't wipe out any bearings etc. Watch oil closely after you change it.

I don't know for sure if old carb was cause but it sounds like it. Never had this happen on a CC, but have with gravity fed engines.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the float bowl vent tube (semi clear tube running from the body of the carb down to the frame) is still there, check that the lower (frame) end is clear - not plugged up with dirt, grass, etc. Those originally had a little plastic "X" piece in there to keep the tube end from closing up. If that tube does clog it can cause a vacuum that allows gas to siphon from the tank, through the carb (past the needle valve) and fill the crankcase AND the intake / air filter box.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Cleaning out the carb can help. You have to drain the oil and change the filter. The fuel pump can also be bad and cause the fuel to siphon though the carb and into the motor. Also on a club car, fuel can saturate the air filter. Fuel can also be in the air box. Taking all of that apart would be the best way to make sure the issue doesn't return. The factory carb is great and just needs cleaned most of the time.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

All great suggestions and will be my plan of attack. Fist thing is to change the oil for sure. After it happened the second time, I checked oil and could tell it had gas in it so I didn't try to get it running after that. Thanks for all the help guys!
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
CC&7
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just went thru this on my 99CC. here's what I would do. change oil/filter first. Clean all vent lines, and look for any that may be clogged with dirt etc. Check the pickup line the tank for cracks which would make it loose prime. check and clean out fuel pump to engine hose as it may have fuel/oil in it. clean out air box and box to carb hose and if needed change filter. then try starting in service mode it see if it will go. If it doesn't run check for spark. If you have spark, clean the crap out of the carb and also check fuel pump for a damaged diaphragm. If good there, borrow a carb if possible. My problem ended up being the carb. Even after cleaning it 3 times it still didn't work right. I borrowed a carb and it was fixed. I bought a new oem carb for $190.00 (for some reason there's a few years near 97-2000 that had different carbs than the 2000 1/2 and up?) I couldn't find a oem rebuild kit for it carb, but could get a needle/seat and float for $60.00 (ouch) I personally wouldn't waste the money on aftermarket carbs as they are hit and miss with the quality. If you go with aftermarket take it apart and clean it before using, also Loctite the butterfly screws in. Also it wouldn't hurt to check valve clearance. Good luck to you.
CC&7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car