lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #11
HBR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Clockwise, they said it was clockwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
Not sure how that engines ignition is setup but I would think it signals at say 10 degrees before tdc and that would change going counter clock wise other wise its probably going to try it at 10 degrees after tdc
Good point. New flywheel or reposition the coil?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Well that's kinda cruddy, but if nothing else you got a brand new engine for the gator at a ridiculously cheap price.
If the cam from the other engine is in good shape you could maybe just swap that to the new one. The link rods on the 350s and 400s get starved for oil and they eventually jam and break and trash the cam gear but might be worth pulling the front cover off to take a look if you haven't already.
I pulled the cam from old engine today and the gear and it looks fine. The compression release is missing spring though.

I have been chatting with a guy on Youtube that has FE engine rebuild videos posted. He says a CW cam and flywheel has to be used. The con rod flipped with piston. But he says the oil pump in a CCW engine is located and timed so using that crankcase to run CW would result in no oil pressure. The only reason I went with new engine instead of rebuilding is I need engine cases.

This has turned into challenge. I am determined to make this engine run backwards now. Gotta be something I can change to oil pump.
Greg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #13
HBR
Gone Wild

You can run a CCW engine, but the forward/reverse get switched. With the unitized transaxles found in the regular club cars, the new forward is a 17:1 ratio.

I put 6:1 gears in so that brought my new forward to 9:1. If you use 8:1 gears the forward goes back to stock 12:1

CPP has been putting their CCW big blocks in the newer club cars with CW engines for years.

Maybe you get lucky and forward/reverse ratios are the same in that model. . .
Old 09-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg001 View Post
But he says the oil pump in a CCW engine is located and timed so using that crankcase to run CW would result in no oil pressure.

Oil pump is a good point. That would need to be changed as well. Not too familiar with the specifics on the pumps in these. Seems like it would be a matter of either swapping the pump or changing the front plate on the pump so the oil is pushed the proper direction. That's a bit more work to get to the pump, but since you're already in it to swap the cam, and piston/rod orientation... Turning into one of those fun projects that you have no idea how it's gonna turn out until you get it running and it doesn't blow up...

Quote:
Not sure how that engines ignition is setup but I would think it signals at say 10 degrees before tdc and that would change going counter clock wise other wise its probably going to try it at 10 degrees after tdc
Magnet is on the flywheel so he just uses his old CW flywheel. The position of the coil is the same on the motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #15
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
You can run a CCW engine, but the forward/reverse get switched. With the unitized transaxles found in the regular club cars, the new forward is a 17:1 ratio.

I put 6:1 gears in so that brought my new forward to 9:1. If you use 8:1 gears the forward goes back to stock 12:1

CPP has been putting their CCW big blocks in the newer club cars with CW engines for years.

Great idea and much better than making engine run backwards. So now all I need is starter/generator that works the opposite of my old one. And then sort out transaxle gearing. It is a 2002 2100 Carry all.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
HBR
Gone Wild

Many S/G can be wired to run either direction.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #17
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Many S/G can be wired to run either direction.
Thanks for your suggestion. Going to stop all this excitement and figure out how to make my S/G run backwards and drive cart forward in reverse. I was looking at available S/G for carts with CCW engines. The mounting looks different than mine.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Reversing the S/G is pretty easy.
Check in the wire diagram sticky: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ml#post1251631
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #19
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:

Thanks for the info. My Pioneer 1200 uses a Kawasaki transaxle model number MC012C-AS00. With the manual locking feature. Ratios are 14.9:1 Forward, 20.5:1 Reverse.

I am looking into the high speed gear sets offered by Cart Parts Plus. They have no experience working on my model number transaxle. But the set they offer looks just like the idler set in mine. I am going to give the 6:1 a try.

Got the new engine in and going forward in reverse. I gave up trying to change rotation of new engine.

Last edited by Greg001; 10-02-2018 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: I am forgetful
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #20
HBR
Gone Wild

The regular unitized transaxles have a 17:1 reverse ratio. With 6:1 gears my new forward is 9:1. Looks like you might be around 12:1 with your setup.

Tags
fj400
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car