lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
mscoanhxc
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1980 G1 gas clutch with no spring

I'm in the process of replacing the crankshaft seals on my 1980 G1. As I removed the clutch and primary sheave, I noticed there was no compression spring?!?! It ran and drove fine prior to starting the teardown. Is this even possible? Could it be some aftermarket replacement that is installed and doesn't use a spring?

I've attached the only picture I took. I know the spring would normally be behind the clutch housing shown but I was hoping someone might be able to verify that this is the factory clutch.

Can the cart be operated like this as I know this spring is no longer available?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 Clutch.jpg (26.6 KB, 0 views)
mscoanhxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1980 G1 gas clutch with no spring

Primary clutch shouldn't have a spring. It's operated with slides and weights that get thrown outwards to the ramps by centrifugal force, which will compress the sheaves together.

The secondary (driven) clutch has a spring to close them until the primary clutch engages and draws the belt towards the middle of the driven clutch.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
mscoanhxc
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the response CP241. I was basing my question on the exploded view from my owners manual. I've included it to be sure we are talking about the same thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 Primary Exploded View.JPG (120.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I was looking at the picture you took and misunderstood, thought you were expecting a spring to be inside the housing where the weights/rollers are. Did not read your post closely enough i guess.

That looks like the spring goes inside the collar where the sheave rides, to help push them apart when the motor stops, so the belt will drop back down to the bottom. If you can find a replacement for it, then by all means install it. However, if you can't, then I doubt you'll notice any difference in the way the cart drives with or without it. The belt does a pretty good job of spreading the sheaves back apart as the motor stops.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
mscoanhxc
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It didn't have one when I took it apart but it seemed to work and drive just fine? I will proceed without it. Thanks for your input CP241...much appreciated!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Early on in the G1 run, we would take out the spring, install a steel machined spacer (identical size of the bearing). We found if the spring wore the ingagement of the clutch was not smooth. I found I liked the update, because as soon as the RPM's went up so did the clutch ingagement. Grease the sliding sheave bushings, put it back togeather and have fun
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
mscoanhxc
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Smallblock! No spring, no spacer...got it! Much appreciated!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

No, you need the bearing or machined spacer and the collar, just no spring.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
mscoanhxc
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I apologize smallblock but I want to be sure I understand completely. Referring to the attached exploded view: In addition to the indicated bearing(item 2 in the image), I would need to add a second bearing or a machined steel spacer the same size as that bearing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 Primary Exploded View 2.JPG (118.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscoanhxc View Post
I apologize smallblock but I want to be sure I understand completely. Referring to the attached exploded view: In addition to the indicated bearing(item 2 in the image), I would need to add a second bearing or a machined steel spacer the same size as that bearing?
That part explosion is a little miss leading. The bearing #2 (or solid machined replacement) fits onto the fixed sheave #1, then the collar #3, then the sliding sheave #5. #4-washer that clips onto spring and #14 spring will not be used.

Tags
clutch, spring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha