lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
sporta
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Need help with a 88 (we think) G1

Hey all,

As the title states, we need help with a G1 golf cart. As I said, we "think" it is a 1988...it's written on the cart and I am having trouble finding a serial # to make absolutely sure. As to the problem, it is being cantankerous to start/run. Battery was just replaced and is in good shape. For example this morning about 45 minutes ago, I hopped into the cart and flipped the switch to F and got it to start with no issues. Did not get it to drive however as I needed to back up due to how my dad parked it....switched it to R and attempted to start it and only got clicks. Tried F again and nada...just clicks...I need to check the basic wiring and see if anything is loose but does anyone else have any ideas why it would be doing this? Dad was able to run it over the weekend..made a trip down to the mail box and back with no issues but after stopping...nothing. Also, it appears that the oil injection has been removed from the cart, there is a plugged off line on the carb and the previous owners were running it at a 50:1 ratio...does anyone have information on re-doing the oil injection system?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
sporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Need help with a 88 (we think) G1

myself id leave the oil injection system disconnected. I personally run 50:1 with VP synthetic oil and rec fuel. others here run 80 or 100 :1

Check and clean all your terminals from battery to solenoids and then to starter/generator. the stock cable ends are steel and corrosion causes voltage drop. make sue to charge and test the battery.

check the case of the engine fan side where the case and fan shroud meet should be a serial number there. you can also check behind the primary clutch and look for J10 j17 j24 ect on the jug.

link to service manual

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
sporta
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
myself id leave the oil injection system disconnected. I personally run 50:1 with VP synthetic oil and rec fuel. others here run 80 or 100 :1

Check and clean all your terminals from battery to solenoids and then to starter/generator. the stock cable ends are steel and corrosion causes voltage drop. make sue to charge and test the battery.

check the case of the engine fan side where the case and fan shroud meet should be a serial number there. you can also check behind the primary clutch and look for J10 j17 j24 ect on the jug.

link to service manual

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
Awesome, thank you for the information. The cart (when does decide to run) seems to be really running richly at 50:1. We looked pretty closely at the wiring on the cart yesterday before I had to make a serious building supply run and found all sorts of shenanigans had been done on the wiring and are working on replacing it now...Also downloaded the service manual thanks again.

Steve
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporta View Post
Awesome, thank you for the information. The cart (when does decide to run) seems to be really running richly at 50:1. We looked pretty closely at the wiring on the cart yesterday before I had to make a serious building supply run and found all sorts of shenanigans had been done on the wiring and are working on replacing it now...Also downloaded the service manual thanks again.

Steve
give the carb a good cleaning and replace the spark plug. Maybe try 80:1 and see how that goes.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Excellent advice. You will only find out that the oil injection has quit working when the motor seizes up because it stopped working. Premixing your own gas is always much safer :)

If it is running rich, it's not the 50:1 mix. The more oil that is in the mix, the leaner it runs. Decreasing the amount of oil will only richen the mixture further. Make sure carb is good and clean. Make sure the air filter is clean and there are no obstructions/restrictions in the airflow coming in. Also worth checking would be the exhaust. IF you don't know the history of the cart, especially on a 2-smoke engine, a muffler BBQ is always a good thing. 30 years of oil accumulation in the muffler can have a tendency to pinch things off a bit.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
sporta
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Thank you both for the suggestions...The carb cleaning is one of our next steps...first thing I did was pulled the spark plug and made sure it was in good shape (looked like it was changed recently and we are getting plenty of spark). One strange thing I found today, the cart will crank over fine 1 or 2 times, then nothing..just the clicks of the solenoids...BUT if you spin the little "fan blade" on the starter pulley, even just 1/2 turn, then the cart cranks just fine...think its time to pull the starter and get it tested..will follow up next time I go to dad's in CA. Being in Nevada (only just an hour and half away) is kinda a pain in the tush when trying to work on projects with him lol
Old 10-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like a set of brushes for the starter/generator are in order. It's a cheap fix and will probably make the starter work like new.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sounds like a set of brushes for the starter/generator are in order. It's a cheap fix and will probably make the starter work like new.
X2. New brushes are like the kiss of an angel for old carts. As well, keep a note of what you are doing when the cart goes into fail mode. If it's always when you try to go in reverse then the reverse solenoid could be bad. Simply switching the wires from the F and R solenoids is an easy test. CDIs can work one way but not the other as well.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha