lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New G9 Owner. A few troubleshooting questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
For myself, maintaining the stock platform was/is important. That's the beauty of Plowmans.

My G16 yard cart recently got a new Plowmans engine and ported and polished head to add to the Hot Setup--machined and bored carb and free flow exhaust. It's still being broken in, and it's got some serious zip. I've seen an honest 33mph, windshield up, on 20" tires. It's got more, but not enough long flat stretches of road here.
Dave, that's my goal here. I want to jump in it and go. No futzing around with engine swaps. I'm familiar enough with the issues that crop up doing that in cars/trucks, etc. For a toy, that's fine and expected, but like I have said here, I want to jump in and hit the gas pedal and not have to think about it beyond that. If a "Plowman" motored G9 can get anywhere near 33mph that's more than enough for me. An honest 20-25 would be perfect. Did you swap your final drive ratio to get that 33 or is that just what the motor's capable of without the rpms being governed down?
BLSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
HMMM How does your "other cart" enter jive that thinking ?
Well, I wasn't talking about the green Vanguard cart. The G22 is stock, except for the secondary, and there's this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Lol I love how it looks so unassuming...

How does that compare to the vanguard? I'd imagine vanguard still has quite the advantage because it's got twice the HP but that's pretty impressive power out of an unbroken in plowman motor
No comparison. Yep, 2x the hp and torque makes a difference.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSully View Post
Dave, that's my goal here. I want to jump in it and go. No futzing around with engine swaps. I'm familiar enough with the issues that crop up doing that in cars/trucks, etc. For a toy, that's fine and expected, but like I have said here, I want to jump in and hit the gas pedal and not have to think about it beyond that. If a "Plowman" motored G9 can get anywhere near 33mph that's more than enough for me. An honest 20-25 would be perfect. Did you swap your final drive ratio to get that 33 or is that just what the motor's capable of without the rpms being governed down?
This is a 301cc G16 engine, with stock gears. Not sure what the smaller G9 engine would be like, but Don can clue you in.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Ah, ok. Missed that.

I did end up talking to Plowman the other day. That does sound like the direction I will go. He seemed to not be too concerned with the motor itself at this point, focusing on the condition of the drivetrain first.

I will be giving him a call back in the next couple weeks to do a debugging session. In the mean time I've been tearing off the "extremities" of the motor to check the spacer (good shape), filters (dirty, but not plugged), etc. Ordered all new gaskets for carb/exhaust/valve cover/head. Will button it all back up and see what we're starting with. Will probably wait till it warms up a bit...my garage is difficult to heat when it's -4 out =0P
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You should be able to get in the low 20's with the gov cranked down and a little jetting. My stock engined G14 with a K&N filter and jetted carb would run up to 4800 rpms which is some where in the low 20's and that was with the windshield up. Took a little distance but it would get there. BUT do remember these yamaha G2-14 series engines run hard will have a much shorter life on their oil control rings and will start to smoke.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

According to the GPS speed app on my phone, my G9 with stock engine and clutching will run 22-23mph on 20" tires with the governor cranked all the way down, but the engine was screaming! I don't need/want to go that fast, so I loosened it up quite a bit and run ~16-17mph to save the wear and tear on the motor, which is plenty fast for me. There's no hills in south GA and I don't live anywhere near pavement, or even a county maintained road for that matter so it's quite rough to say the least. Me stretching the speed up to that 16-17mph mark doesn't even happen all that often.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is the point. Unless you install high speed gears or larger tires nothing from plowmans or anyone else is going to change that one bit. Top speed is a function of rpms with a given gear ratio or tire size. I.E 4700 rpms is the same speed whether you have a built to the gills modified engine or a bone stocker. Now part 2 is with the more powerful engine you can get to these rpms with the higher speed gear ratio or larger diameter tires. So how you get 10 mph more with this kit or that kit without doing something with the gearing or tires is beyond me. P.S. Have you noticed our top speed #'s are virtually the same ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Ah, ok. Missed that.

I did end up talking to Plowman the other day. That does sound like the direction I will go. He seemed to not be too concerned with the motor itself at this point, focusing on the condition of the drivetrain first.

I will be giving him a call back in the next couple weeks to do a debugging session. In the mean time I've been tearing off the "extremities" of the motor to check the spacer (good shape), filters (dirty, but not plugged), etc. Ordered all new gaskets for carb/exhaust/valve cover/head. Will button it all back up and see what we're starting with. Will probably wait till it warms up a bit...my garage is difficult to heat when it's -4 out =0P
You can't go wrong with Plowman's....Don is a great guy who works with Yamaha. Yamaha makes a great engines and has been at for over 60 years.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #29
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
You can't go wrong with Plowman's....Don is a great guy who works with Yamaha. Yamaha makes a great engines and has been at for over 60 years.
That's what I gather. I've been poking around at carts for sale on craigslist and FB Marketplace, tossing around the idea of sending this one down the road and picking up something newer, but it seems like to get into anything in "better" shape, I'm looking at probably $3-5k, and then it's still a used cart with unknown history.

I'm into this cart for about $1000 at this point, so even if I have to drop another $1000-1500 with Don, I'm arguably still ahead in money, and I'll know what's been serviced.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #30
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
That's what I gather. I've been poking around at carts for sale on craigslist and FB Marketplace, tossing around the idea of sending this one down the road and picking up something newer, but it seems like to get into anything in "better" shape, I'm looking at probably $3-5k, and then it's still a used cart with unknown history.

I'm into this cart for about $1000 at this point, so even if I have to drop another $1000-1500 with Don, I'm arguably still ahead in money, and I'll know what's been serviced.
I (and most others here) agree 1000%. I'd much rather buy something blown up for cheap, sink some money into that and have something that I built, know everything about it inside and out, and know exactly how it's been treated and serviced than spend $3k on something someone else used up, sold off, and know absolutely nothing about it!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha