lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #31
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: New G9 Owner. A few troubleshooting questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I (and most others here) agree 1000%. I'd much rather buy something blown up for cheap, sink some money into that and have something that I built, know everything about it inside and out, and know exactly how it's been treated and serviced than spend $3k on something someone else used up, sold off, and know absolutely nothing about it!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #32
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I (and most others here) agree 1000%. I'd much rather buy something blown up for cheap, sink some money into that and have something that I built, know everything about it inside and out, and know exactly how it's been treated and serviced than spend $3k on something someone else used up, sold off, and know absolutely nothing about it!
That's what I did with my Rokon :) Wasn't running when I bought it. Rebuilt the Honda GX160 that powers it and did a basic restoration on it (new seats, powdercoat chassis, refresh seals/chains/etc)

BLSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #33
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Oh and since I can apparently post pictures now.... here's the little beastie helping me plant trees this past fall.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That looks great, much, much, MUCH nicer than mine was when I got it. Definitely worth putting some money into, great foundation to start building up. This is mine the day I brought it home. My wife thought I was crazy/stupid for buying it lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 home.jpg (616.7 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #35
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And this is it today. Definitely a labor of love with this one lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190208_134155.jpg (740.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #36
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

It looks good now! Once it's running well I do want to do a small lift to fit 20's and a rear flip seat. We often take the whole family over to the neighbor's to grill over the fire during the summer. Right now my girls are 6 and 3, so we can all cram into the bench seat, but pretty soon I'm gonna need more room!

Edit: Oh, and my wife thought I was insane too. She loves hopping on it to go run around the yard, though. Once it's running like it should, I probably won't be able to pry it away from her =0P
Old 02-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #37
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks. Took a long time to get there from a piece of junk that didn't run or even really roll lol.

From experience, Skip the 4" budget lift and go with one of the A-Arm lifts (think they make a 6" and 7".

The 4" is cheap, and fits the 20's no problem. but it rides like a roller skate. Think I paid something like $80 for the kit. I've seen the nicer kits for around $200 that seem to get much better feedback in ride quality.

I still love my G9, it just rides like dookie. Just a Shame it never gets used anymore since I got the carryall.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
BLSully
Not Yet Wild

Been a while.... winter got long in WI and I didn't feel like working on the G9. With spring here for the most part, I finally got around to rebuilding (cleaning, new seals, new grease) the primary and secondary. Set the stock spring to whatever was recommended (B2 sounds right, but don't remember right now). New spark plug for good measure.

Cart is running MUCH better. Nearly well enough I should be done messing with it, but I've never been known for leaving well enough alone.

If anyone comes across this thread in the future with similar symptoms, the biggest difference *seemed* to be when I rebuilt the secondary clutch. The grease on the sliding sheave was all hard and nasty. Even having pumped new grease in there before, it was still just very 'sticky' on the shaft. I suspect (as a complete noob to CVT transmissions) that there was enough drag on the sliding sheave that it couldn't backshift when it came to a hill. A heavier spring may have masked the issue to some extent, but the stock spring seems to do just fine now that everything moves smoothly.

I did talk to Plowman for a while a couple months ago and he made some good suggestions and offered to do a troubleshooting call with me which I may still take him up on sometime to get that last 10% of tuning done, but I'm glad I worked through the issues without wasting too much of his time ;)

It's taking a lot of self-restraint to not go hotrod the hell out of it now =0P
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #39
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSully View Post
I should be done messing with it

No such thing as "done". That's not a word even in the vocabulary here

Glad to hear you got it up and going good. Enjoy it, warm is here and a nice long cruise is always fun
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha