lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Timberwolf530
Not Yet Wild

Default Strange Electrical Issue - No spark unless gas pedal is pumped

I have an early '90s Yamaha cart I am working on . From what I have been able to gather from research, it appears to be a g8 or g9, though I am not 100% sure of that. Recently, it stopped charging the battery, so I replaced the starter/alternator, and the battery. Nothing had been done to this cart for years as far as parts or repairs. Just yearly plug and oil changes. I found that the plastic carb spacer was cracked, so I replaced that & figured I would change the carb while I was at it. After I put it back together, it would not fire. I found it was due to no spark, so I tested the coil. It tested out of specs, so I replaced that. Now when I crank it, I get no spark unless I am pumping the gas pedal as it cranks. I get a weak spark then. It still isn't enough to start, but if I stop pumping the pedal, no spark at all. I bypassed the pedal switch, thinking that might be it, but that had no effect. I've never seen anything like this before. Anyone got any ideas?
Timberwolf530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Strange Electrical Issue - No spark unless gas pedal is pumped

I'd double check power and grounds at the ignitor. Did you use an OEM coil or an aftermarket one? Most of the aftermarket coils are junk. OEM ones are expensive, but work.

Also these are known to occasionally have weak grounds in general. You could try grounding the engine block to the negative battery terminal and see if that makes any difference.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

I had a VERY similar issue on a G16, would only spark when pumping pedal. Turned out to be a bad ground going to the solenoid (small neg post).

Maybe check that and the engine stop relay..

Good luck.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Timberwolf530
Not Yet Wild

Aftermarket Coil, but it tests within specs on the meter. What is wrong with them? Where is the engine stop relay.
Timberwolf530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
1arunem
Gone Wild

I am not sure on a G9. On the G16 it is next to the solenoid.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha