lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Maybe a dumb question ?

So changed my clutch belt the other day while it was off I noticed the clutch moves freely back and forth with no belt on is the correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crs4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Maybe a dumb question ?

Yes, that's good if it moves freely. There's no spring inside there to hold it open.

Key start vehicles (gator, carryall, side-by-sides, etc) have a spring in them that keeps the clutch spread apart at low RPM's and it wont' start to engage/close until the engine starts to rev higher, but for a golf cart that is pedal start, you want it to start to move as soon as the engine starts running.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Yes, that's good if it moves freely. There's no spring inside there to hold it open.

Key start vehicles (gator, carryall, side-by-sides, etc) have a spring in them that keeps the clutch spread apart at low RPM's and it wont' start to engage/close until the engine starts to rev higher, but for a golf cart that is pedal start, you want it to start to move as soon as the engine starts running.

Ok thanks , my belt got shredded was trying to find the culprit, think it was just a cheap e-bay belt that was the issue .

Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs4040 View Post
Ok thanks , my belt got shredded was trying to find the culprit, think it was just a cheap e-bay belt that was the issue .

Cheap belts tend to disintegrate without warning. I'd either stick with an OEM belt or I had a Plowman's belt on my G9 that was pretty stout.

Did the old belt shred too? or was it just worn?

IF the old belt was just worn and the new one shredded, I'd just chalk it up as a junk belt. I always save an old one for backup just in case
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Maybe a dumb question ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Cheap belts tend to disintegrate without warning. I'd either stick with an OEM belt or I had a Plowman's belt on my G9 that was pretty stout.

Did the old belt shred too? or was it just worn?

IF the old belt was just worn and the new one shredded, I'd just chalk it up as a junk belt. I always save an old one for backup just in case

Yea went and bought a OEM cruised around a little with no issues but time will tell . Old belt was a couple years old , but the new belt shredded within 10 min of cruising around was just worried it could be another issue.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Best drive belt I ever bought came from Plowmans.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha