lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Miami_G11
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Exclamation 1997 G11A YAMAHAULER utility cart... backfire upon stop.

Hi all!

Adam here from Miami. Bought a 1997 G11A as a project work my 15 year old son. Would love some help from the pro's out there...

I'm having what I believe to be a carb/ fuel issue.
Every time I come to a stop I get a loud POP! (backfire) = so embarrassing. I had a local golf cart repair shop clean/ adjust the carb but it didn't solve the problem. The cart runs strong (26 mph with 2 (large) passengers)...but in order to run well the choke needs to be out a bit (using zip tie). Mechanic said the Yamaha fuel systems are complex but I'm curious if maybe someone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

Adam
Miami_G11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
mozzer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1997 G11A YAMAHAULER utility cart... backfire upon stop.

First check would be the microswitch on the pedal or linkage, depending on model I think. If the there is too much throttle input without the switch clicking to run that could cause unburnt fuel.

I don't think the Yamaha fuel system is complex at all, but I have an old G9.

Sent using Tapatalk - G9
mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Basically the same engine as a G9 except 300cc. No the fuel system is not at all complicated, just finicky.

First, make 1000% sure the airbox lid is 1000% completely sealed tight. One strappy clamp missing and its gonna run like dookie.

There is a plastic spacer between the carb and the head, make sure that is not cracked. They crack super super easy if you tighten the carb mounting bolts too tight.

Make SURE the carb says "MIKUNI" on the side. NOT "MOKINI" or anything else.

And check to make sure when you let off the gas pedal, the throttle plate closes all the way. If it is left even a little bit open, it's going to backfire, diesel, run-on, or a host of other things when going down hills or stopping. Its maybe being held slightly open by either the stop screw misadjusted, the cable between the governor and the carb being out of adjustment, or the cable being bad/sticking can cause this too.

That's where I would start anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Miami_G11
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Basically the same engine as a G9 except 300cc. No the fuel system is not at all complicated, just finicky.

First, make 1000% sure the airbox lid is 1000% completely sealed tight. One strappy clamp missing and its gonna run like dookie.

There is a plastic spacer between the carb and the head, make sure that is not cracked. They crack super super easy if you tighten the carb mounting bolts too tight.

Make SURE the carb says "MIKUNI" on the side. NOT "MOKINI" or anything else.

And check to make sure when you let off the gas pedal, the throttle plate closes all the way. If it is left even a little bit open, it's going to backfire, diesel, run-on, or a host of other things when going down hills or stopping. Its maybe being held slightly open by either the stop screw misadjusted, the cable between the governor and the carb being out of adjustment, or the cable being bad/sticking can cause this too.

That's where I would start anyway

Thank you I will be looking into this!
Miami_G11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dump, g11-a, g11a, hauler, utility
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha