lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Default Suspension question for G22 Limo

Hey I have a 2005 Yamaha G22 Limo that I recently picked up as a roller (no engine). I just put a VC 625 in it so it now moves fairly well. But it seems like it leans slightly lower to the driver's side and when you go right at a medium speed it feels like there there is excessive tipping, while turning left at the same speed feels fine. Now it could be because I'm 230lbs on the left side of the cart with no weight on the passenger side? The cart also sat for 7 years in a junkyard of sorts, was rarely moved and something could have happened to it during that time. I took a picture of the rear coils and the drivers side coil seems to be "half stuck" together. I'm not familiar with the yamaha suspension at all and am not sure what to look for front or back. Are the coils toast or can they be refurbished? Are there any suggestions on how to check the complete suspension, front and back and what to look for? Thanks everyone for your time!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
CoolTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Suspension question for G22 Limo

Remove the shocks and inspect them. If the left shock returns to shape, install it on the right side. If the same thing happens, meaning the right side tilts, then replace the shocks. I always replace them in pairs.

Also, take a look at the frame. If you have it set up on jack stands already, get it to sit level from the ground. Take some measurements on each side, left and right, to check if the frame is "torqued". Measure from the frame to the ground in various spots on the left side and right side to see if there is any variation, paying particular attention to the very front and the very rear of the frame. If the frame is twisted you will know from the measurements. A twisted frame can cause the suspension to compress like you are describing, although it would have to be a pretty severe twist.

Overloading a cart can cause the frame to twist, especially if it's driven on uneven terrain while being overloaded. Not uncommon for a limo cart. I've seen limo carts used for weddings where there are way too many people aboard the cart. The frames of these carts were really never designed to be stretched and overloaded.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Those look like different shocks. Count the coils. The one on the right looks like the correct one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170224_125711.jpg (371.8 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Those look like different shocks. Count the coils. The one on the right looks like the correct one.
Good eye Dave!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Good catch! I can't believe I missed that. I am ordering a new set of heavy duty springs and with luck that will fix the issue. I'm also going to check the frame for twisting. Thank you both for your suggestions!

CoolTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTrees View Post
Good catch! I can't believe I missed that. I am ordering a new set of heavy duty springs and with luck that will fix the issue. I'm also going to check the frame for twisting. Thank you both for your suggestions!

Good luck! Post some pics of the new shocks installed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha