lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
dmac10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Rear Leaf Spring

Have a newbie question.

I've got a 2006 Precedent with the rear seat.
Heavy duty leaf springs.

Rideing this weekend and on one side of the leaf springs slipped out to the side.( looked like an x shape, pivoting from the center)

Hard to explain, maybe picture a pair of scissors.Should have took a pic but didn't think of it at the time. Anyway I was able to get it ligned back up, the other side was about to come out.

Is there a keeper that would prevent the leaf spring from doing this.

I had the cart off road and got in several twisted positions, which this is the cause. I know some older vehicles had something on the leaf spring just can't remember what.

any ideas????
dmac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear Leaf Spring

You can use a hose clamp, make sure stainless, and check tightness often.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The stock HD multi leaf spring has 2 clamp like units next to the bottom leaf on spring near the center that keeps them from turning like you said. What you have may be after market springs that might not be of quality of stock springs OR clamps were left off for some reason? Also with some after market lifts the "U" bolts are cheap quality and can stretch and adapters used may allow the springs to get loose? Also this should not happen if "U" bolts are kept tight? You really need to check tightness 3-5 times after installing any lift kits or springs as they can loosen up? I do not have foot pounds of torque but Im sure TahodawgZ71 knows what it is?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
dmac10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
The stock HD multi leaf spring has 2 clamp like units next to the bottom leaf on spring near the center that keeps them from turning like you said. What you have may be after market springs that might not be of quality of stock springs OR clamps were left off for some reason? Also with some after market lifts the "U" bolts are cheap quality and can stretch and adapters used may allow the springs to get loose? Also this should not happen if "U" bolts are kept tight? You really need to check tightness 3-5 times after installing any lift kits or springs as they can loosen up? I do not have foot pounds of torque but Im sure TahodawgZ71 knows what it is?
Mine are after market HD springs. "U" bolts looked in a good position, but I will check tonight.

Any suggestions on who might carry the clamps, or I may just go with the hose clamp option.

Thanks for the info.
dmac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hose clamps ( stainless ) will work for awhile if "U" bolts are kept tight? The flex of spring may wear the thin clamps out over a period of time? Check with any auto spring shop for clamps, or even some large auto parts stores might have them for order? You would need to measure what size was needed to order.
This is one of the reasons some after market quality shops furnish LIFT KITS using 2 "U" bolts on each side instead of only one on each side
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
This is one of the reasons some after market quality shops furnish LIFT KITS using 2 "U" bolts on each side instead of only one on each side
Yep... I got mine from Cart Parts Plus, It's an All Sports Super Sport rear lift,

I didn't have the same problem, and I can't remember how much it was,
but I feel better with the way it is now!

Notice the hose clamp...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 - Copy (2).jpg (55.3 KB, 64 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Take the rear springs off and find a local spring shop - the can put new permanent clamps on it for less than $50 - I had this done after having mine chromed!!

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I keep forgeting that you should check your ( center bolt through spring ) for tightness as well? Found lots of them loose from factory and after market as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
PTCClubCar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I know this thread is kind of old, but I had the same problem with my 2003 DS and a 3" Jakes Spindle Lift. I have heavy duty rear leafs (4) and the standard clamps only cover the top 3 leafs. Bottom one kicked out and ultimately rubbed a hole in my rear left tire (it was brand new ******).

I have put hose clamps on both ends of each leaf spring, but the movement loosens them up and periodically I have to go back and relocate/tighten them all - obviously a temporary fix. I have been to a couple of local alignment shops with no success on trying to find standard leaf clamps.

My question is, does anyone know where I might could order some?

Just for others who might have this same issue:
PTCClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car