lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
cartboy
Gone Wild

Default Re: What I found out about Trojan?

Since we are talking batteries, has anyone had any experience with the Everstart MAXX deep-cycle marine batteries @ Wal*Mart?

The reason I asked is that we have solar on our boat dock and all I have is a 90 aH battery now. Everything works fine, but storage is limited.

The MAXX 29 is 125 aH, for $77. For $150 I could have 250 aH.
cartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #22
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smallblock, Cant really tell you they "suck". With my experience first hand, riding time is not a problem at all for me. Gets me through the whole day without having to recharge. On the other hand, as you say, aesthetically speaking, I kinda like the idea of having 4 instead of 6. Maintenance is easier and so is the pack price. I do agree that 6 provides for a longer run time but again, doesn't affect me at all enough to purchase a conversion kit$$$$$$ + having to relocate controller box by the motor.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom carts View Post
here is something i found out about trjan on this pass thursday when they delivered to my shop. they have come out with a 6 volt blk. top batteries that has no name on it but the negative post is stamped like the regular trojans to compete with prices compares with the t105s everything is the same. i was told by the driver and i saw them my self
Are you refering to the "powervolt" made by Trojan? If so, I believe it is more comparible to the T-605 than the T-105. Personally I am still an Interstate user and unless they suddenly start proving me wrong, I will be a devotee for a long time to come. Great power, well made battery and excellent price point (plus I like the fact they weigh in at 6 pounds more than a T-105)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartboy View Post
Since we are talking batteries, has anyone had any experience with the Everstart MAXX deep-cycle marine batteries @ Wal*Mart?

The reason I asked is that we have solar on our boat dock and all I have is a 90 aH battery now. Everything works fine, but storage is limited.

The MAXX 29 is 125 aH, for $77. For $150 I could have 250 aH.
I have a customer that tried "marine" batteries in his GEM..... they lasted him 1 year and Walmart refused to honor the warranty because the battery was not "used as intended". We put a set of the blue 12v interstates in his car and 3 years later he is still going strong.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I have a customer that tried "marine" batteries in his GEM..... they lasted him 1 year and Walmart refused to honor the warranty because the battery was not "used as intended". We put a set of the blue 12v interstates in his car and 3 years later he is still going strong.
Thanx, but I was not intending to use them in a golf cart.

I would use them in our boatdock solar system.
cartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
lithium.paul
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
If it wasn't for the cost, in a perfect world, I would like to see lipo lithium batteries in golf carts. Light weight, charges quickly and comes in a very small package.. Wouldn't recommend them on gassers tho. Can explode if mistreated
Y'all can whine about Trojans, US Batts, Optima, all you want. For me, Lithium is the answer. And the price is no longer a problem, because LiFePO4 prices have dropped so much the last few years. I work for a lithium battery supplier in Salt Lake, and we put our 12V batteries in my 2006 CC Precedent. It rocks.
Cost of a Lithium 12V battery which gives 3,000 cycles and more range than T-1275's, all in a package that's 1/5th the weight and 1/4 the size: $288. It's a no brainer - the future is now boys! With the increase in cycle-life, these actually cost half as much per cycle compared to Trojans.
(And that's the low Amp hour model... the bigger ones provide 4 hours of pedal time!!!)
lithium.paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #27
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

what cells do your batts use? how do you charge & balance? what is the c rating?
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #28
lithium.paul
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm assuming you know a little about LiFePO4 batteries based on the questions... if you need more explanation, just ask! That's the great thing - we sell the individual prismatic LiFePO4 cells that people who've looked into lithium are familiar with. But I'm talking about 12v blocks just like what golf cart owners are used to. No BMS required. No balancing these - I mean, you could check it every few months and if they get more than a couple tenths off each other then throw them on a standard 12v charger.
They have a 3C constant rating (10C impulse). We just use a lithium-specific battery indicator to monitor the discharge level, and then use a charger which shuts itself off before the batteries reach a voltage that's too high. The charger does cost about $500 on top of the batteries, but it charges so fast that it pays for itself with decreased electricity usage - even in Utah, where electricity is ultra cheap!
lithium.paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium.paul View Post
Y'all can whine about Trojans, US Batts, Optima, all you want. For me, Lithium is the answer. And the price is no longer a problem, because LiFePO4 prices have dropped so much the last few years. I work for a lithium battery supplier in Salt Lake, and we put our 12V batteries in my 2006 CC Precedent. It rocks.
Cost of a Lithium 12V battery which gives 3,000 cycles and more range than T-1275's, all in a package that's 1/5th the weight and 1/4 the size: $288. It's a no brainer - the future is now boys! With the increase in cycle-life, these actually cost half as much per cycle compared to Trojans.
(And that's the low Amp hour model... the bigger ones provide 4 hours of pedal time!!!)
So thats $288 times 4 batteries right? Also the price of a good BMS and charger has to be added right? Tell us what kind of money we are talking about for a complete system on a 48 volt cart. If I am not mistaken, we are talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.00. Please correct me if I am way off here.

we posted at the same time so I did not see your above comment before I posted
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #30
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'm assuming you know a little about LiFePO4 batteries based on the questions... if you need more explanation, just ask! That's the great thing - we sell the individual prismatic LiFePO4 cells that people who've looked into lithium are familiar with. But I'm talking about 12v blocks just like what golf cart owners are used to. No BMS required. No balancing these - I mean, you could check it every few months and if they get more than a couple tenths off each other then throw them on a standard 12v charger.
They have a 3C constant rating (10C impulse). We just use a lithium-specific battery indicator to monitor the discharge level, and then use a charger which shuts itself off before the batteries reach a voltage that's too high. The charger does cost about $500 on top of the batteries...
ok, so each 12v cell has its own BMS, but there is no balancing between the 4 12v cells??? how do the 12V cells handle overcharging? do they bleed it off as heat until the other batteries in the string catch up? or do they just overcharge?

is the 3c rating for charge or discharge? what size (capacity and physical size) are the bare prismatic cells?

Quote:
but it charges so fast that it pays for itself with decreased electricity usage - even in Utah, where electricity is ultra cheap!
a watthour is a watthour, regardless of the rate at which it is consumed.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car