lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
ezongker
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 club car solenoid problem

I basically know nothing about golf cars. I was given this car and it was DOA. the serial number is A8305-40763.

What I have done.
1. Put new brushs in motor (Hatachi) motor works how well is to be known.
2. Check micro switches they all have continuity when closed.
3 trying to check solenoids.
a. put a jumper on big posts on the master solenoid (drivers side) key on, controller full on, results nothing.
b. put a jumper from rear master post to passenger side solenoid rear post. Motor works in forward or reverse.
c. checked continuity on small posts on each solenoid they all have continuity.

If I have understood previous posts I think I need new solenoids. Can anybody tell me what I am doing right or wrong and if there are other test I could do.

thanks in advance
ezongker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 club car solenoid problem

You got a good start on this..... can you tell if the solenoid activation circuit is working? Pretty slim chance all solkenoids be bad at once. I'm thinking no power to the micro switch cluster?

Verify no solenoid activation first.

A quick overview of the solenoid is :
The solenoid is a HD on/off switch or Contactor
the connection is made /broken between the 2 large terminals. The 2 small terminals are the activation circuit. typically one terminal will have a constant negative connection to the pack. When Positive power is applied to the second small terminal the contact is drawn up against the spring to make contact. When power from either side of the activation circuit is removed then contact is released and the spring pushes it away interrupting the circuit ...It doesn't matter which small terminal is neg or pos on the activation circuit so long as you have both....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
ezongker
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb

I think that is heading me in the right direction. I did NOT have any power going through my switch to activate the solenoids. I did a little jury rigging and got power to them and the master activated. Tomorrow I'll fix some wiring and see if that works with all of them.

I think that will get me farther along. Thanks for you help
ezongker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
wayne56
Not Yet Wild

i have a 86 club cart 36v and when i plug up charger in about 3 min the batterys start to boil and the wires are real hot.i no nothing about carts so any help would be appeciate send to woohogs @yahoo.com thanks
wayne56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if cables are getting real hot thats resistance.....start with a new set of cables and then clean all battery terminals check water and add distilled water only if needed...........charge them till charger shuts off let it sit several hours and go to testing the batteries, load test them and test each cell with a battery hydrometer........lets see where your at afterwards....post your #,s we can help you.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
wayne56
Not Yet Wild

it,s not the battery cables it,s the wire from the charger that you plug into and when you open the top of battery they are boiling thanks for any help
wayne56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that is still possible resistance somewhere....either dirty connections or something loose......have you tried cleaning anything....try cleaning charger receptical and plug end as best you can.......its also possible something wrong with charger but you need to start somewhere.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car