lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Charge Circuit Problems

I'm a newbie...about as new as they come. I have been reading your posts for several months and what little i have learned or think that i have learned has come from this site...Thank you all. I bought a used cart knowing that i would be embarking upon a whole new learning curve. It's been cool, it's been frustrating, but before i let it get too expensive i'll ask for help. First; what did i buy?
2000.5 + Club Car DS 48 volt. Serial #A0033-921397
I didnt notice until i brought it home that the Battery Warning Light was blinking and even if i had i would have bought the thing anyway. I had decided that i wanted to learn by doing. For a while when i plugged the Charger in (PowerDrive) the cart would take a charge but the light never quit blinking...even during charging. Last fall i started to realize the problem was getting worse when the charger started acting different. The charger would click & hum, but the Ameter wouldnt move and of course the cart wouldnt charge. I let it it for 2-3 months then after researching how to begin testing i purchased an auto battery charger and charged the batteries up with the charger set on 6V 6amp...one battery at a time with each battery charging for roughly 20 hrs. Drove the cart then let it sit again for 1-2 months.
I purchased a Digital Multifunction VoltMeter model # DT-830B from Northern Tool, figured out to use it (i think) and started trouble shooting the battery charger (PowerDrive). I thought that i might have found the problem in the Heat Sink so i ordered one and put it in yesterday. The Ameter now moves on the carts charger and the charger is clicking & humming as it does its diagnostic cycle but then goes back to sleep. I have the charger manual (thanks to you guys) and feel that certainly i have an issue within the charge circuit. I reset the OBC this morning but cart wont take a charge. I checked all connections on the Charger Receptacle for tightness and cleanliness...looks good, feels tight can't do anything with the Sense Lead Fuse can I? So it's batteries or OBC? I have not found anything yet as to how to test the batteries when they are not fully charged and thought i would begin to run this past you guys at this point to see what your thoughts might be. I would appreciate any that you may have and thanks to you all...i wouldnt have gotten this far without your wit and wisdom.
Tbinkley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Charge Circuit Problems

not sure if you can but if you can try and find another known good charger that you can use for just a minute, plug it in and see if cart charges than we know if its your charger or the cart..........saves a bunch of time cause if a known good charger won,t work than you know your problem is with the cart.............................by the way welcome.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you dont have 36-38 pack voltage charger will not work correctly. I would recommend that you go to this forums STICKIES and look at "Complete Maual For Power Drive Charger" gives you good step by step tests to confirm whats going on. Really sounds like OBC but dont jump until you have tested charger circuits.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks you two. I have been trying to find someone with a 48 volt charger that i could perform the check that Shadowman suggested but everyone so far is 36V. That manual is exactly what i have been using OLD MEC and what a find it was...without it you'd have to be a serious tech to have a clue where to begin. As it is right now i am charging the batteries with the auto charger in hopes that the batteries are drained so low that the cart charger isn't recognizing them. Is there any way to check a battery that is not fully charged to tell if it is bad? Thanks again guy's.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

In looking back on your first post I see you are trying to charge a 8 volt battery with a 6 volt charger so you may not be up to 36-38 volts to OBC to trigger charger to work? Test your pack voltage to confirm enough voltage to start charger. You really need a fully charged battery to do any correct testing? You might get some idea of condition using a single float hydrometer with a temp correction scale? If it would show one cell much lower than others it might be sign of dead or weak cell. Always check batterys using Stickies chart.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Jump charger to bypass OBC, keep a real close eye on the batteries until the pack voltage is up over 36-48 Volts . then remove jumper and go back to normal charging .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TESTING%20PICTURE.jpg (141.2 KB, 33 views)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

GLEEMO man thanks...this is what i'm looking for, but when you say jump charger? Do you mean cross those two wires or what, and what's a safe time frame? I'm a newbie dude.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Yes the ones is says to remove and jump these 2 in the picture.
Make sure charger is unplugged

Place +POS of Volt meter on the first +POS battery post .
Place -NEG of volt meter on last -NEG battery post.
Leave the leads attached to batteries

So U are starting out measuring pack voltage.
write it down and post here

Plug the meter up and and start , let it run a couple and
write it down and post here.

Now the Aggravating part, every hour or so check on it because the charger will not shut off without the OBC in the circuit
When the voltage gets up to 58-60 volts across the pack or 8 hours whichever comes first, Unplug the charger
wait 4-6 hours and measure the pack
write it down and post here
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks GLEEMO i'm gonna do that after work today, but in the mean time i have another question.
I have been trickle charging each individual battery with an automotive battery charger set to 6V 6amp. Each battery has done the same thing: Ameter on auto charger goes to 0 when plugged in then in a few moments levels out to about 50% charge and after about 24 hrs battery shows a full charge and i move on to the next battery.
This morning when i plugged battery #6 in the Ameter went straight to 0 stayed there and after a few seconds then the charger cut off and after a few seconds did exactly the same thing at which time i move to the next battery and this one is doing as i expected...Ameter goes to 0 then levels out at about 50% and begins to charge the battery.
Heres my question: could it be that i have found a bad battery?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hard to say, you are using a 6v 6a charger on 8v battery that right now needs about 15-20a asap. Leaving the batteries for months at a time in a low state of charge will do irreversible damage resulting in reduced performance and useful life. I will bet you are looking a bad computer. (would not be too surprised if you have 1 or more bad batteries also)
Do the bypass and see if you can't save the batteries, then remove the jumper and try to recharge with the pack between 48 and 49v. No charge ~ then do the OBC bypass test.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car