lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
membersbounce
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 82 club car slow and sluggish.

Hey everyone, just picked up my 1 st club car and have read a bunch of helpful info on this site. So thank you to you all!!

My cart is an 82 ds club car 36v. The batteries are 05' trojans. I filled them and charged them. I have about 37v when i volt metered them across the bank. I did a specific gravity and that tested good. I did a load cell on them and that tested good. I even left the clips from the volt meter on and went for a ride to see if under load it did anything unusual. It never fell below 34v.
Are there anymore test i can do to determine if my batteries are good?

I grabbed my gps and I averaged about 11mph on the level street and dang near hit 20 mph going down a long hill. But going up hill it dogged to about 6mph. I was thinking of changing the brushes on the motor, or even upgrading my motor. I believe i have a 2hp now. Does the significant amount of speed loss going up hill seem about par for the course (i couldn't resist) is there anything else i should check like selonoids, coils etc.?? Coils are all in tact thats as far i know.
I also cleaned all the terminals on the batteries and wires and added dialectic grease when i put them back on. Some of the cable going to the selonoids appear a bit old but not a much corrosion on them.

I did order a new dash board that's pretty sweet looking!!!

thanks for any help....
membersbounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 82 club car slow and sluggish.

1st welcome, if cables are old replace them with some good cables, 12 mph is the norm and yes they lose it going uphill its the nature of the elec. cart..........the batts are 6 yr old and i think dropping to 34 volts under load is a little more then you want but wait for a few others who know more about them...........if your gonna upgrade the motor you need to watch what you put in as most upgraded motors will melt the resistor coils........only other thing is you want to make certain all soleniods are working......enjoy your cart..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
carson398
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 82 I just replaced all the solinoids, cables, and battries. It runs a little better, but still a little slugish. I have thought of going with a bigger motor, but there are limited options on that. They also run about $500 to $800 for them and they are 2.5 to 3 hp. I am thinking of getting a new cart. Hope my experiance has helped.
carson398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have an 82 club car and had a bad armature that I had turned and new brushes add. It will run around 14mph on the flat. Before I had it repaired I had looked into sending it to Plumb Quick to have it rebuilt, I have read some good things about them.
Phil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
membersbounce
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the quick responses everyone!! I am going to order a set of all new cables. I was quoted $77 from Radical Golf Carts for 4g complete set (ie battery,motor ect) Does that seem like a fair price?

Phil H- do you remember approx cost for to have the armature and brushed worked on? We have a place here in town that re-winds old motors i was thinking of giving them a call.

Last but not least- what is the best way to inspect my coils and solenoids??

thank you!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My neighbor has an electric motor repair shop so I got by cheap. I think the place he had the armeture turned down at charged him around $40.00 and I gave him another $100.00 for the brushes and his trouble, he only wanted to be paid for what it cost him but he did do the leg work and it was worth it.
Phil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
jlmurphy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with Plumb Quick he may freshen up our motor. Very good guys to work with.
jlmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
membersbounce
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Again can't thank everyone enough, I hope I can give some sound advise and pay it forward as well someday soon! I pulled my motor today and its pretty black with carbon dust. I called plumb quick on phil h's advise and they do seem like nice people. They told me for about $250 they would turn the armature, rewind and add bushes and springs. Also said I would see a 25% improvement on torque and horse. Also said it would be better than new when I got it back. The motor is a Hitachi MT320-06A. Output- 2.0kw and rating is 0.5hr 36v.

Not sure if anyone knows if this is worth having the Plumb quick overhall or spend $600 on a new motor? Has anyone had an old motor overhauled from plum quick? I would much rather spend $250 if its worth it.

Having a blast tinkering with this old cart, keeps me off the couch!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
billlyb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmurphy View Post
Check with Plumb Quick he may freshen up our motor. Very good guys to work with.
hi i have an 82 was thinking about the same thing when you took the motor out did you drop the springs or take the body off thanks billlyb.
billlyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by membersbounce View Post
Thank you for the quick responses everyone!! I am going to order a set of all new cables. I was quoted $77 from Rad**** Golf Carts for 4g complete set (ie battery,motor ect) Does that seem like a fair price?

Phil H- do you remember approx cost for to have the armature and brushed worked on? We have a place here in town that re-winds old motors i was thinking of giving them a call.

Last but not least- what is the best way to inspect my coils and solenoids??

thank you!
Check our sponsor page for new cable sets, might need to call them for pricing but alot of them offer member discounts and/or other deals.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, coils, hill, selonoid, slow moving
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car