lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
tagmscpe
Not Yet Wild

Default Headlights go dim while driving

I noticed in a post from 2008 where someone had a similar problem.
His solution was a loose wire, but one of the replies asked if it was a factory wiring job, or a do-it-yourself job. Well, mine is a do-it-yourself job, and I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I have a 36V 80's DS (not sure of the exact year, since the serial # tag is missing, but it does have one brake pedal, and it's not a V-glide). Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tagmscpe; 05-01-2011 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: forgot to put 36V in there
tagmscpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Tony M
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Headlights go dim while driving

Welcome to BGW.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagmscpe View Post
I noticed in a post from 2008 where someone had a similar problem.
His solution was a loose wire, but one of the replies asked if it was a factory wiring job, or a do-it-yourself job. Well, mine is a do-it-yourself job, and I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I have a 36V 80's DS (not sure of the exact year, since the serial # tag is missing, but it does have one brake pedal, and it's not a V-glide). Thanks for your help.
How do you have it wired? Off of 2 batteries or a voltage reducer? Are you grounding to the frame by chance?
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
tagmscpe
Not Yet Wild

I have it wired to two batteries (no frame grounding).
For what it's worth, I also installed a horn onto two other batteries.
The horn acts similarly. You can hear it rise & fall in volume as you slow
down & speed up.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

do you swap it every few months to other 2 batteries......try see if its any better your lights are dragging those 2 batteries down more than the rest of the pack and that may be why, alse check with a meter and make sure the 2 batteries read 12 volts you can,t just use any 2 batteries................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
you can,t just use any 2 batteries................
Good one shadow!! I didn't think about that.
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
tagmscpe
Not Yet Wild

I've had the lights hooked up for one day. See my other post about the horn acting the same way on batteries 5 & 6 (the lights are on batteries 1 and 2). I get 12 volts when I measure across the two batteries. I'm wondering if it's just weak batteries. They all read over 6 volts, but they're at least 3 years old, and the cells were bone dry after I bought the cart and popped the lids. Maybe they have sufficient voltage, but not much amperage?????
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It's just weak batteries and normal for lights to dim a little while cruising and especially while accelerating.
The cart draws close to 300 amps under full acceleration.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

With dry cells your batterys are most likely TOAST-RUINED and wont be able to carry the load of operation and lights? What batterys are showing you is how low in power they are by dimming lights down when under power ( some dimming is normal but very little ). You need to test batterys to confirm condition and most likely repace whole pack with new batterys? It would help to add a voltage reducer after changing battery pack to keep batterys even in load, but this WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR CURRENT PROBLEM.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
It would help to add a voltage reducer after changing battery pack to keep batterys even in load, but this WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR CURRENT PROBLEM.
OLD MEC, I agree with this solution the best as I use to run the same as tagmscpe did when I first hooked up my lights.

I did upgrade my cart to 48v and then hooked up a voltage reducer for the 12v and have run for several hours driving around at rallies with no difference in light power from start to finish. WORKS GREAT!!!
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car