lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
stevesmitty79
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 elec club car not wanting to go - slow to nothing

My neighbor has a 99 club car. He's a nice old guy and I'm wanting to help him since he doesn't have the money to get his cart checked.

He told me that about a week ago as he was riding the back 40, his cart just petered out on him and he had to tow it back to his house and charge it up. Ever since, he told me it seems to run out of power quick and his trips are getting shorter. Now, when you press the pedal, it just rocks forward a bit. I can hear the solenoid click and I'm getting a full 48 VDC on the two main power terminals on the controller, but I know nothing else.

I check the batts and they're fully charged. Did a load test and they're all ok.

I'm wondering if that pedal switch/rheostat is the issue. Sorry about the nomenclature. I don't know what it's called. How would I check that if you think it might be worth checking?

Any help would be great. I just downloaded the wiring diagram for 99 and up elec club car.
stevesmitty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
stevesmitty79
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 elec club car not wanting to go - slow to nothing

OK, looked at the wiring diagram to find out what I called the switch/rheostat is a potentiometer. Pulled the two batts in the way, pulled the cover, cleaned the contact surfaces very carefully, jumped the four remaining batts and still no juice. Solenoid clicks, the cart moves a hair and that's it.

Still open to suggestions.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that really sounds like a battery problem, it should have more around 55 volts after a full charge so if your just getting 48 thats the problem.....only other thing that comes to mind when they just move a hair is the controller but i would really go over the batteries 1st............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
stevesmitty79
Not Yet Wild

Hey Tom. Thanks for the response. I'm still working on my nomenclature. When I said a full 48, I was speaking nominally. But, I did double check all the batt specs again and here's the report:

He did a full charge this morning and it's been 9 hours of no load other than testing.

The batts open circuit respectively read 8.3, 8.3, 8.3, 8.4, 8.4, and 8.4. The open bank reads 51.7.

After we hooked it back up, I check a few things. Across the solenoid, the voltage is the same no load and pedal to the metal. It reads 2.2 without and fluctuates around the same with the pedal down.

I also checked the batt bank connection to the controller across the hot from the solenoid and it read 52.

That's as far as my genius got.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

do you know if the cart will take a charge?........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
stevesmitty79
Not Yet Wild

It took a complete charge this morning and it's still topped off. I'm not getting what your asking.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
wilsontc81
Not Yet Wild

Jump the solid yellow wire on the solenoid to the main negative battery post (one that goes to the back of cart).

If that works let us know.

It sounds like what I call a loss of negative, meaning part of the obc is not working properly. If this is it, there is an easy fix.
wilsontc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm still wondering if a battery is dropping out under load. Connect the meter to the pack ... note the reading and step on the gas. If voltage drops considerably do the test with the meter on each battery until you find one or more culprits..... hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
wilsontc81
Not Yet Wild

I had one drop a battery the other day. It started vibrating and felt like the axle was falling off.

I really think loss of neg or something with the micros
Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
wilsontc81
Not Yet Wild

I had one drop a battery the other day. It started vibrating and felt like the axle was falling off.

I really think loss of neg or something with the micros
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car