lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Planecrazy
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Electric Club Car DS shakes and won't go

Friends,

As the new owner of an electric Club Car, an early 2000 model year DS, I've read a lot of these threads in an effort to gain some basic knowledge but want to get some expert opinion as to where my issue is.

Here is the back story. I purchased this cart a few weeks ago. I test drove it without the owner being present and it drove in Forward and Reverse. I drove it several hundred yards but all on level asphalt. It wasn't "peppy" and my buddy with his newer EX Go could easily out run me although we were not racing, just comparing carts. The price was right for me and I bought it anyway knowing that there was likely some fixing and spending to be done.

The owner delivered the cart to me while I was away at work and my wife accepted the delivery. It was hauled in the back of a pickup (ramps). About a week after it was delivered, I finally had the opportunity to go check it out.

The previous owner had plugged the charger in before he left. I unplug the charger, turn the key ON and press on the accelerator pedal. The cart just shook but didn't go anywhere. It sounded just like my gas Club Car that needed some choke. Forward and Reverse acted just the same. I found that by applying slight, gentle pressure to the accelerator pedal, I could get it to move but not very fast and any resistance would cause it to stop.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do a little checking/trouble shooting. I don't yet have a maintenance manual but will order one in very short order. Here is what I found. 6, 8volt Trojan batteries. The cable/lug connections were in various states of cleanliness. Some were quite clean, some were bloody ugly. I took them ALL apart and cleaned them. Water level in every cell was proper. I measured the voltage on every battery individually and disconnected. They measured: 8.4, 8.42, 8.41, 8.42, 5.37, 8.4. I also measured the entire battery pack and it measured 47.4 volts. I should mention that these measurements were taken approximately an hour after unplugging the battery charger.

Speaking of the battery charger, mine is a PowerDrive. It is mounted to the cart and hard wired in. Before I unplugged it, the gauge was on "0".

Next is the battery light. It flashes slowly regardless of the position of the key. The flashing starts as soon as I unplug the battery charger. I have some video of it that I will try to make available in the near future.

So, I think part of the issue is the one weak battery. I'm enough of a DC power neophyte that I'd like some direction as to my next step. The batteries are of unknown age and condition and my wife is in favor of just getting 6 new ones. That may well be the answer but I hate to "shot gun" the fix by just throwing parts at it to see what works. I'd like to pinpoint the issue and fix it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Have a great day,
Phil

Last edited by Planecrazy; 09-30-2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Planecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
davet
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 Electric Club Car DS shakes and won't go

The pack is dead,try recharge to get them up to where it will move,just to make yourself happy,then listen to your wife and go buy batteries.He had all frshly charged up to sell it,the bad one is pulling the rest down..Dave
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

As for the battery age, what code is stamped into the negative terminal on the batteries?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you want more info put your meter on the pack and try to go, record the drop in voltage then do the same for each individual battery, I'm sure you will find the low one to be bad. You can replace it with a used battery but then you have have the old aged battery diminished capacity question ....... have fun and post those date codes.
If the number in the date code is 7 or lower your looking at new batteries...
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Planecrazy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys!

I'm on the road for work till Wednesday but I found one of my pictures where I could make out a "7" on the negative terminal of one of the batteries. It looks like new batteries are in my near future, like when I get home. I will try measuring the voltage drop before I pull the batteries just to learn and I'll post the results here so others may learn.

So, just what does the "7" date code mean?

I sure appreciate the knowledge base here!

Have a great day,
Phil
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
Thanks guys!

I'm on the road for work till Wednesday but I found one of my pictures where I could make out a "7" on the negative terminal of one of the batteries. It looks like new batteries are in my near future, like when I get home. I will try measuring the voltage drop before I pull the batteries just to learn and I'll post the results here so others may learn.

So, just what does the "7" date code mean?

I sure appreciate the knowledge base here!

Have a great day,
Phil

The "7" date code means they are 2007 batteries.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
casetractordude
Not Yet Wild

if you check them with a hygrometer, you will find that the one with 5 volts has a couple bad cells draining the rest of the pack.
casetractordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Planecrazy
Not Yet Wild

Update:

The new batteries are installed (with new cables) and on the charger as of 3PM this afternoon. I'll go check on it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully all will be well.

Phil
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Planecrazy
Not Yet Wild

Update #2:

After 26 hours hooked to the charger, I tried to drive the golf cart. It was positively zippy!

Thanks to all for your help and guidance!

Phil
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
Update #2:

After 26 hours hooked to the charger, I tried to drive the golf cart. It was positively zippy!

Thanks to all for your help and guidance!

Phil

Good to hear. The charger should shut off after 16hrs. Was the charger still on??
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car