lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
linda83ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 83 Ezgo Runs then quits

I have an 83 gas ezgo that I rebuilt last winter. After rebuild it started right up on second try I was very happy needless to say. I drove it around for a couple of minutes and parked it for the rest of the winter. I pulled it out and started driving and it was sluggish would stall out only run with a choke out I eventually bought a new carb for it and that was the ticket. It runs good and seems to have pleanty of power. Now my problem is it will only run for maybe 3 minutes and than it stops and I mean it just stops running it does not sputter or anything. Let it sit for a couple of hours and it does it all over agian. Motor is completly rebuilt so has pleanty of compression and is clean so I don't thinks its overheating. During winter rebuild I completly replaced the electrical system with all new components too. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dan
linda83ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 Ezgo Runs then quits

I can't say for *sure* but it sounds like a similar issue I had with my 2PG a couple of years ago - turned out to be the ignitor ... Bad part is it'll cost you $100+ to pick up another one to test and confirm this, as there's no procedure to test a bad ignitor (or in the case of mine, an intermittent one)

You might want to look at the solenoid - if you replaced it with a standard automotive one (which looks exactly like the "constant on" one that you actually NEED for the carts) then it could be overheating and causing the issue ... Carts need a constant-duty solenoid (like they use for snowplows, etc) - THAT sounds like a much cheaper and easier place to start

(also, just because you order a solenoid from a cart supplier DOESN'T mean you'll automatically get the right one - trust me, I learned THAT lesson too, hahahaha)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oops - almost forgot - CAREFULLY (in case it is totally overheated in which case it WILL burn you) touch the solenoid right after the cart stalls out to see if that's the issue.

Again, you *should* be able to tell right away if the solenoid is the culprit by the heat, hopefully that's the trouble !!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
linda83ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the solinod and it was not even warm. I jacked up the back end and put the hammer down and looked at the fuel filter and I think what was happening was the pump could not keep up with the engine at full throttle for extended runs. Today I keep the speed way down and NO PROBLEM for the rest of the day. I will keep an eye on this and may replace the pump if it happens agian. Thanks agian for the info.
linda83ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can also check the fuel cap and make sure the vent works. Some models have a tube vent on the tank, check that if you have one. See if a mud dauber built a nest in it.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO