lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

Default 79 ez go 2 cycle only runs with choke on

I have what I think is a 79 ez go 2 cycle golf cart from what I have read on other posts. It sounds like I have to replace the crank seals and I already replaced the one on the clutch side. From the sounds of it I should have done the one on the flywheel side to while I had the motor out. Anyways I was wondering if theres anything else I should do this time while I have the motor out so I get it fixed this time.
Thanks for the help
Brandon
Waterman33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 79 ez go 2 cycle only runs with choke on

Welcome to BGW Before you remove the engine do a quick compression test to see where you are. Then if it's good replace the crank seal and a good cleaning of the carb may be in order. Replace the fuel filter before reinstalling the engine and blow out the fuel line.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I should have said this in my first post but I dont know alot about engines but with some help I think I will get it. I cleaned the carb about a year and a half ago when it quit running. I am going to clean it again tonight. The compression is 105 is that good? If so does that mean the crank seals are ok?
Thanks for all the help
Brandon
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Anything over 100 psi is going to be good for you however compression is not related to the efficacy of the crankcase seals. If you are pulling the engine then changing the seals is always a good idea. Whilst you in there this would be a good time to change and set the points. If you haven't got a manual I can scan the relevant section. To remove the flywheel you will need to purchase the EZGO tool as the standard steering wheel puller will not work on a pre 1980 cart. At this time I would be tempted to replace all the fuel lines, the fuel filter and the spark plug.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned the carb again today. I also put new fuel line filter and spark plug in it. Didnt make a difference. Still will only run with choke on. I think im going to have 2 pull the motor and try the crank seal. If that doesnt work Ill go from there. Ill let you know how it goes thanks again for the help
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Just to be sure when you say you cleaned the carburetor did you remove every nozzle and jet, soak them in cleaner and then ream them out with a soft wire like copper. I mention this as there is a fallacy that cleaning a carburetor means spraying some cleaner into the air intake and that surely will not cut it.

With regard to your problem, running with the choke on indicates a very lean mixture. It might be something as simple as a ruptured gasket on the inlet manifold. It might be worth jacking up the back axle and with the engine running spray some WD40 around the unions. If the engine changes note or rpm you have found a leak.

Is it possible that your fuel has become adulterated? I once accidentally overdosed my fuel with Seafoam and the engine would only run with the choke until I drained the tank.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the carb apart and like you said used a tip cleaner to clean the ports. Ill try spraying around the intake tomorrow be for I pull the motor. Ill let you know how it goes.
thanks again brandon
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

Ok I got it to run now. there were four loose bolts tightened them and it took off now it will run in forward but not in reverse. It cranks good forward butwhen you go to reverse it it trys to crank but nothing any ideas?
thanks
brandon
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Waterman33333
Not Yet Wild

I took the forward reverse lever apart and cleaned all the contact points with sand paper it didnt make a difference. When in reverse its like it has a weak battery.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Awesomesilverado
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

just make sure all cables to the switch from the battery and all connections related are good and clean, sounds like you might have a bad cable or worn/burnt/corroded, brushes in your starter.
Awesomesilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO