lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Dave R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default exhaust gaskets

Guys what would keep my 77 ez-go to keep blowing out exhaust gaskets , and it keeps popping ? I have ainternal starter generator i think its the 244 robin.I am getting frustrated as it is always giving me the finger. Do I burn the muffler?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: exhaust gaskets

Sounds like it needs a good beer and BBQ
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Welcome Dave With the exhaust removed put a straight edge across the flange and see if the surface is flat. Your probably going to find the corners are pulled up. If so flatten the out-ok get out the hammer and file. When your satisfied get new gaskets and I use self locking nuts along with washers to spread the load. You also my want to apply a bit of HIGH TEMP silicone to both sides of the gasket which works well. Iv'e used it on race headers and it holds up well and gaskets are simple to remove.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Dave R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Then a beer BBQ is in order just in time for memorial day weekend.. And thank you Doc. Racin, I will check that too and put rtv on both sides.That is the first gasket i had on the top part, I used rtv all the other times and it never leaked. Thanks guys, I will keep you posted.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Dave R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, the BBQ didnt go so good as nothing came out but it was red hot, the beers were good and filing the exhaust ends and high temp rtv worked good. I still have a problem with back firing and blowing fuses.1st the fuses... Ground down to bare metal and put another one on, and still blowing them, can i just bypass it? Then the backfiring... I know the carb on there is for an 88 and mine has the internal starter generator could it be getting too much gas with that carb? Thanks again We did get to ride for 15 min though lmao
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well as guesses go I can tell you that in 1988 EZGO fitted a BV 24 carburetor to the Robin and called it the HO (High Output) version. That didn't work out too well and in 1989 they developed the 3PG and reverted back to the previous carburetor which was the BV18 and is the one you should have. So you could be on the right track.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Dave R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave, I will try that... And anyone need a brand new 88 carb? I still have fuses blowing when i have a nice ground and cleaned up the cables going to the fr switch, can I bypass that or is my switch bad? Thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'd go with Dave and find a BV18 for it to start with, although if you're backfiring on the "let-off" side of the throttle it could be that when the new carb was installed, the return spring (?) on the throttle cable could have been left off ... If you look at where the cable goes through the carbs control arm, there should be a little spring (almost like the spring from a clicky-pen, which BTW will work in a pinch) between the arm and the cable stop - this ensures that the butterfly closes all the way when you let off the gas, if it doesn't then what happens is you continue to draw fuel without the ignition firing, as soon as you get back on the throttle, BANG it ignites ...

Also FWIW, I had some fuse issues on my 88 when I rebuilt it, solved them by pulling EVERY connection, inspecting and cleaning them (and I DO mean every last one) - if your cart's been sitting that's probably a good idea anyhow
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Dave R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks brew, I was just reading on the spring tension, and I do not have one on so I will make something work. It does do it when you let off the gas, thanks a bunch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO