lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
joes09ezgostcustom2+2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Disable idle cut-off on 2009 EZGO ST Sport 13HP

Hello,

I have a 2009 EZGO ST Sport 2+2 with the 13 HP Kawasaki engine and I'm interested in having the engine idle instead of shutting off when letting off the throttle. I understand that on other engine combinations, a clutch tuning spring can be installed to eliminate the clutch drag at idle and a bypass harness can be installed on the throttle micro switch that will prevent the engine from shutting off when released but it doesn't appear when checking around that the clutch tuning spring is available for the Kawasaki 13 HP engine yet. I will be using this cart for cruising around a resort, not for golfing so let me know if you have any ideas.

joes09ezgostcustom2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Disable idle cut-off on 2009 EZGO ST Sport 13HP

I dont know for sure but would imagine there is something.......... Give Tom a call at CPP, http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ If anyone has the answer and/or the spring it would be them.
Let us know.....
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
joes09ezgostcustom2+2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick response! I actually called them today and was told that a clutch tuning spring was not available for the Kawasaki engine yet. Hopefully it's available from another vendor.
joes09ezgostcustom2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

But why do you want it to idle?
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
twistdgas
Not Yet Wild

A cart that idles all the time is better because,
1.You get a lot longer life from your starter
2. Your battery will always stay fully charged because your battery is being charged from your generator , just like a vehicle
3. You can use your cart for multiple jobs such as in my case, using a electric sprayer without the fear of running your battery down from the constant draw of power.
4. You never see a ATV, or UTV that automatically dies every time you stop accelerating. Just trying to fit in
twistdgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I use mine all the time around the farm, constantly starting and stopping it. The gen set when operating properly puts out plenty enough amps to keep the battery topped off. I am not sure about any appreciable extended life of the S/G by keeping it running. Not saying your wrong.... I just think that the S/G is a fairly tough component that was designed for its intended application, (read golf course use, starting and stopping constantly). Now the idle issue comes up fairly frequently around here and there are lots of folks that have done it that way. Yes you don't see an ATV or UTV that automatically dies every time you stop accelerating, but they are not golf carts. Another option would be using a second battery and an isolator for all your accessories, or use a motorcycle trickle charger when not in use to keep it topped up.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Bobmc1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi, not sure if this will work on a Kawasaki engine but when my accelerator on/off switch stopped working on my '81 Marathon, I bypassed it using a simple toggle switch. Now, when I switch the switch on the engine idles and to kill it I simply turn the switch off.
Bobmc1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

You may be onto something Bob. Bypassing the pedal switch would keep the ignition circuit energized effectively idling the motor. However, not sure if the Kawi engine is capable of being idled down enough to keep the drive clutch from engaging. A safety consideration to think about...... if you left the cart idling and something/someone (kids) touched the pedal, it could send the cart down the road unless the parking brake were engaged every time.

Another thought:
If the engine was designed by the factory to start and then increase rpms, would idling it be able to produce enough air flow via the fan to keep the engine cool. Would the increase heat cause premature failure of the engine, offsetting the alleged increase in S/G life?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
Bobmc1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My fix was more of an accidental discovery as I hadn't considered that the cart would idle if I bypassed the switch. The cooling issue could be alleviated somewhat I suppose if you could wire an electric fan to the switch as well it would help. I'm not familiar with the layout of his cart but that is what I plan to do on mine. Does the Kawi already have a fan on the engine?
As far as the child issue, you've got me on that one! LOL
Bobmc1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Well its an air cooled engine so it must have one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO