lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 2pg runs poorly even after rebuild, etc. aaauuuggh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovold View Post
Never mind, I found the PDF. Crap. I wish I would have known that before.
Clovold, could you post a link to that PDF, I am rebuilding my 2pg now.

Thanks
Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OR (now that I read the title of your post) you used a 2PG set of piston and rings in an 89 (which is a 3PG - they'll fit but the ports are entirely different and that of course would also cause your symptoms)

2PG ran til 87, HO 2PG was 1988 only, 3PG was 89-up in the 2-stroke world for EZGO
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghall View Post
Clovold, could you post a link to that PDF, I am rebuilding my 2pg now.

Thanks
Ghall, i posted the PDF in your thread, post #28

But if it's a new one, i would like to see it to
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
clovold
Not Yet Wild

Yup, you were right, thank you so much for catching that!!!!! New rings (both) were upside down. They are now firmly embedded into the piston :(

Fortunately I had the old piston, 1 new ring and 1 old one. I put the rings on the old piston (which looks fine) and fired it up. It runs great now but still seems down on power, and when the RPMs get high it start to sputter (maybe backfire).

It runs like a scalded ape in reverse, though. This makes me think that maybe the timing is off after I put the new crank seals in. I marked the position, so it should be very close to they way it was before. It actually always ran better in reverse than forward. I wonder if the timing was always a little off and I just made it a bit worse.

Is there a way to check the timing? Do I dare just adjust it a bit one way and see what happens?

Thanks again!!!
clovold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
clovold
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
OR (now that I read the title of your post) you used a 2PG set of piston and rings in an 89 (which is a 3PG - they'll fit but the ports are entirely different and that of course would also cause your symptoms)

2PG ran til 87, HO 2PG was 1988 only, 3PG was 89-up in the 2-stroke world for EZGO

Mine is actually an '88. I mistyped the title and I don't see any way to correct the thread title, sorry :(
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The position of the pulsar is actually pretty forgiving, but yeah - the running better in reverse leads me to think it may have been fairly off to begin with and you may have moved it just enough off the old spot to make it worse (which sucks to pull apart and mess with but the good news is You can't really mess anything up by doing it) ... Glad the ring idea worked, and if youre is an 88 then the 2PG 79-88 kit is correct.

For what it's worth, see how close to "centered" in the adjustment the pulsar is - when I did my first pulsar swap I never marked it so I just figured logically that center would be a good place to start and the cart has run amazingly since I put it together - if it's off-centered maybe try centering it and then working towards your marked point if it needs further tweaking (just my opinion, your mileage may vary!)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
clovold
Not Yet Wild

It doesn't bother me to pull the flywheel again, I've got it down to just a couple minutes now. I sure hope this works. It sucks not trusting the cart.

I need some sleep. Maybe tomorrow I can finally have the old girl running right.

I still have a carb and fuel pump on order. I guess I might as well put them in and have everything be new ;)

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #28
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovold View Post
Mine is actually an '88. I mistyped the title and I don't see any way to correct the thread title, sorry :(
fixed the title
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
clovold
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 2pg runs poorly even after rebuild, etc. aaauuuggh!

Thanks for the title fix!

I centered the timing and it runs about the same in forward and reverse now, so I think that was it. It still sputters at full throttle over 15MPH but I'm guessing that is fuel starvation. It's totally driveable now, and the new carb & fuel pump will hopefully take care of the high speed issues. Starts instantly, doesn't require choke to get it going, etc.

I can't thank you guys enough!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #30
clovold
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 2pg runs poorly even after rebuild, etc. aaauuuggh!

OK, that's it, I've had it, I give up. She is going to the scrap heap.

I've replaced the piston rings again, just in case. I verified that the piston orientation is correct, I've done the hei mod and it has great spark. It starts right up, runs ok (but a bit weak) until you hit about 10 miles per hour then it backfires and blows the crank seal out.

I've replaced the ignition system, piston & jug, carb, all seals and it still runs like crap.

I'm so done with this.

Anyone need parts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO