lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Gravy
Not Yet Wild

Default I'm a new member and I have a question.

I took the body off my 81 Club Car to replace a solenoid and put in new batteries and cables. When I did I discovered this extra solenoid mounted to the frame. The hot wire comes from the final solenoid in the speed coils and the ground comes from a toggle switch on the dash (never knew what this toggle was for). The main cable is like 8 gauge and is looping from one post on the motor to the solenoid and back to another post on the motor. Since it doesn't kick in untill the final speed coil kicks in and you flip the toggle switch I have to guess it has something to do with boosting the speed on the cart.
I'm attaching a crude depiction. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club car motor_81.jpg (22.1 KB, 0 views)
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: I'm a new member and I have a question.

nope thats a strange set up ... have you used switch while driving ? any thing happen ? i dont see it as more power with out a resistor attached ... lugs on motor go to forward side of f/r switch and negative post on battery pack .. interesting
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Gravy
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I tried the toggle while setting still. I thought maybe it was for the taillights or something, never tried it when I was going full speed.
I disconnected this rig when I was putting new cables on but I may have to hook it back up and see what it does.
I was a little afraid of it thou since it looked like it looped from a hot on the motor to a ground on the motor. Who knows when you buy an old cart.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Might be an attempt at a series motor shunt.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is used for "field weakening", a technique that will allow the motor to go faster than normal, but it should only be used under low torque conditions or you will end up with very high currents and possibly melted wires.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Gravy
Not Yet Wild

That makes sense Sergio. That would explain the toggle switch and it would explain the melted insulation on the motor end of some of the cabling that I replaced.
It's funny that I replaced a solenoid that was shorted closed so that I could slow my cart down a little and I find a gizmo that was designed to make my cart go faster.
Anyway I put a new set of crown batteries in, changed out one of the solennoids, put all new cables on and unhooked that contraption and she runs like a top.
Thanks for the responses.

Mike
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car