lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How low should I run my batteries down?

09 Precedent 48v - getting my digital battery meter most likely in a couple of days. As I begin to prepare for its usage, I am curious to know how low I can run my battery before I need to get back to a charger. I am assuming it is not zero :). So when do you consider critical mass and how much batter do you have at that level.

Probably going to have an install question before it is all said and done too. Been mapping out in my head all the things I will probably do to it. Thinking that the first time I have to run a wire from the battery bay to the dash, I may run a couple of two or 3 so I won't have to do that again. :)

Any ways - my question for now is about battery level.

I ran down to what I measured 48.1v tonight before charging. The chart I had indicated I had around 45% for what that was worth.

Thanks in advance.
--Mickey
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How low should I run my batteries down?

The golden rule is never run your batts down below 50% SOC ( state of charge )

Go to carts unlimited web - site (Scotty) sponsor on site and read everything with the word battery in it !
Then you will be good to go
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Also, Scotty will send all that info with the meter...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quick post for anyone needing the recommended recharge levels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC-new-print-003.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the comments. Thanks @Scottyb- your chart has more content than the one I have. I appreciate the 50% rule. I can live with that.

I think my real question is around what if I get caught with a lower than 50%...when would I expect to be walking...kind of like a gas gauge. You know the warning light comes on and you have some reserve.

I don't expect that to be the norm...but there is a number that floats in my head to help plan out what I can and can not do.

Thanks for the info.

--Mickey
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . in an IQ Cart, the OBC will illuminate the Battery Warning Light when pack voltage drops below 48 volts when cart is stopped, with no load or accessories on . . . so, if you want a number to watch for, that would be it, I guess . . . deep discharging of these batteries will greatly reduce their life expectancy . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . in an IQ Cart, the OBC will illuminate the Battery Warning Light when pack voltage drops below 48 volts when cart is stopped, with no load or accessories on . . . so, if you want a number to watch for, that would be it, I guess . . . deep discharging of these batteries will greatly reduce their life expectancy . . .
Thanks Steve - Plan is to charge per recommendations so that I don't have the opportunity to get below 50%. I just know(or afraid it will) this is gonna happen when we are down at the beach next month. I figured this is something I should ask about instead of acquiring first hand knowledge again. I suspect, being batteries, and requiring amps to push the motor, even 30% is going to result in a unfavorable situation.

Based on the charts, my target is 48v and that's what I will communicate to the gang to watch for. But I also want to assure the gang, you won't be walking home if you are a couple of miles out and already at that number too.

I still get really confused with the terminology as I don't know if I have these components(IQ etc...). I am one that likes to what I have and where they are located. I have located my controller(and obviously my motor). I suspect the other gizmo is the solenoid. Not sure where the OBC lives and what the IQ(is it the controller?) is really. Being that this cart is a 09' Precedent, I suspect that answers some of the questions of what I should have versus some of the others. I keep referring back to the stickies for help in this forum(they are much appreciated).

Oh...before I got side tracked. That was my other problem...the warning light never came on during my first carting experience...which helped encourage me to order a meter from ScottyBs. Not sure how to test the light and/or signal - but I will be back in the dash to install the meter soon.

Thanks guys
--Mickey
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here is some info that may help you determine your cart capabilities.
My cart setup:
2007 CC Precedent
Plum Quick Bandit
Stock controller
2 ga cables (for when I upgrade my controller)
8- month old Trojan T-875s (I did the conversion)
Jakes 3" lift
20.5 inch tire diameter

From a full charge 51.0 volts (scotty's meter) The picture below is from an app on my phone. Notice it was 5.77 miles. I was running pretty much full throttle unless stopped at stop signs or in traffic. Upon completion of the trip I was at 50.4 volts (nearly 90%)
My cart performs much better at the beach simply because the roads are flat.
My info may give you an idea of what you can do within a certain state of charge, but you would be better off using a handheld meter and checking your state of charge periodically until your meter is installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miles.jpg (86.4 KB, 0 views)
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
Here is some info that may help you determine your cart capabilities.
My cart setup:
2007 CC Precedent
Plum Quick Bandit
Stock controller
2 ga cables (for when I upgrade my controller)
8- month old Trojan T-875s (I did the conversion)
Jakes 3" lift
20.5 inch tire diameter

From a full charge 51.0 volts (scotty's meter) The picture below is from an app on my phone. Notice it was 5.77 miles. I was running pretty much full throttle unless stopped at stop signs or in traffic. Upon completion of the trip I was at 50.4 volts (nearly 90%)
My cart performs much better at the beach simply because the roads are flat.
My info may give you an idea of what you can do within a certain state of charge, but you would be better off using a handheld meter and checking your state of charge periodically until your meter is installed.
Nice - 40 minutes for 10% of your battery...I should have thought to measure my point to points and check the voltage - May do that tonight to get an idea of my volts per mile :)

I see you have changed out the motor too. Was your max speed really 27 normal or down hill? That was cooking....
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Nice - 40 minutes for 10% of your battery...I should have thought to measure my point to points and check the voltage - May do that tonight to get an idea of my volts per mile :)

I see you have changed out the motor too. Was your max speed really 27 normal or down hill? That was cooking....
Dont go by the minutes... that includes the time I was in Home Depot and sitting stopped.

That could have been on a very slight downgrade, but that was on Scenic Hwy 98 which is flat. I am usually sitting on 26mph when I have a long run.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car