lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
allrackedupbbq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default My First CC DS

I have built may Ezgos but this is my first CC. It is a 97 DS series cart. I am wanting to convert it to 48 volt, get a PQ motor, change the controller to alltrax 500 amp, 0 gauge wires(because I have them),48v solenoid, and get rid of the f/r switch and use reversing contactor. I have done this several times on the TXT's but they do not have the OBC. Is this something that is needed in these carts if I am changing all other electronics out and has anyone done this? What were the results?
allrackedupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My First CC DS

If your 97 CC is 36v it is a resistor coil cart and needs a solid state conversion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
allrackedupbbq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am pretty sure it is not. It has a Curtis controller in it. Like I said though I know vertually nothing about CC so any help would be great
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrackedupbbq View Post
I am pretty sure it is not. It has a Curtis controller in it. Like I said though I know vertually nothing about CC so any help would be great
Are you sure it is 36v? With a Curtis controller it should be 48v. I could be wrong but I don't think CC put out a 36v controller cart!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
allrackedupbbq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is possible. The controller says 36-48 volt input @ 275amp. The controller looks factory and is mounted in the factory location from what I can tell by doing a little research on here. Are there other ways to tell what voltage it originally was? I got the cart with no batteries but all the wiring is intact.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok re-read everything a few times. I think I see you are saying you have a 48v controller cart. I changed out a 96 almost the same way you want, only using 2 gauge wires, heavy duty f/r switch, 500 amp Altrax controller, heavy duty solenoid, 36v motor (because I had one), 6" Jakes spindle lift, 22" tires, switched to a 8:1 rear end, coil over shocks on the front with Monroe gas shocks in the rear and most important 4 wheel disk brakes. WHY? It does 35MPH. It is also inspected and titled in Ohio as a LSV. Loved the look on the inspectors face when he test drove it!! Got to watch going top speed!! they get a bit squirrely at that speed!! They are top heavy when lifted like that and they will start to wobble if you aren't careful. I even added 2 in wheel spacers to try and stabalize it some. This is Old Yeller!!!

CartTrader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Yeller.jpg (129.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the voltage on the motor and the obc both of those should tell you waht voltage cart you have.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrackedupbbq View Post
It is possible. The controller says 36-48 volt input @ 275amp. The controller looks factory and is mounted in the factory location from what I can tell by doing a little research on here. Are there other ways to tell what voltage it originally was? I got the cart with no batteries but all the wiring is intact.
The charge port, is it round or kinda square? If round it is a 48v, if square it is a 36v!!

CartTrader
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
What is the voltage on the motor and the obc both of those should tell you waht voltage cart you have.
Not necessarily, I bought a 48v cart once that had a 36v motor already in it. 36v carts do not have an OBC.

CartTrader
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
allrackedupbbq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

CartTrader thank you. When I aqquired the cart it was complete minus batteries and motor, but everything else is there. Best part of that was it was free. I was just more or less going on that I was told it was a 36volt cart and not knowing anything about CC I just went with that. In this case though I guess I will be keeping my eyes out for a stock 36volt motor (do you happen to have another one?) and I will do the rest of the upgrades I was thinking of. I plan on a 12" wheel with Low profile tires for more of a neighborhood cruiser. I don't seam to get very much life from my all terrain tires on my neighborhood streets. Here's a pic of the last EZGO I did. It wasn't done a month and someone made me an offer to good to refuse so she had to go. It was a 2000 48 volt conversion on the stock motor with the Alltrax 500amp spm controller and reversing contactors for the f/r. It only had 4 gauge wires though. It would run 28 mph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (168.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg controller.JPG (49.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car