lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Clutch Power Spring Issue

Okay, so I have the 6" lift and 23" tires. The cart is a pooch when trying to climb the levee at our lake. If I have the wife and kids, forget about it. I have to find a not so steep way up. I ordered the "Yamaha G2-22 Golf Cart & Utility Vehicle Power Driven Clutch Spring and sheave" from GolfCarCatalog. My neighbor is a mechanic for a Chevy dealer so I asked if he felt comfortable working on it as I just don't have the time. He installed it and it runs fine but I am not noticing much (if any) difference with the torque (either climbing hills or at takeoff). Is this normal? Could he have got something wrong? We watched the YouTube video and read the instructions and it seemed pretty straightforward??
Golfswithbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
rheller
Not Yet Wild

Make sure your primary clutch is I'm good working order. Should have contacted plowman for a clutch setup. Did you change the belt as well?
rheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Tinken
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch Power Spring Issue

I had this same issue and it wasn't the spring in the driven clutch or my drive clutch, but a worn drive belt. I replaced my belt with a Erlandson severe duty belt, you can find them here:

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/severe-...-22-drive-belt

These are Kevlar and made in the US. You can also send Tom at CPP your driven sheave and he will machine it to give you an even lower starting gear. This won't effect your top end, just give you wall climbing power.
Tinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

How loose should the belt be when it is not running? Mine has quite a bit of play.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheller View Post
Make sure your primary clutch is I'm good working order. Should have contacted plowman for a clutch setup. Did you change the belt as well?
I did not change the belt.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Tinken
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfswithbeer View Post
How loose should the belt be when it is not running? Mine has quite a bit of play.
Try measuring your belt width. If it is close to 1" wide, it may be time for a new belt. I suggest you choose a severe duty belt which will also help regain lost power. The belt in the link above is made in the USA and is woven with Kevlar which will not stretch like other polyester belts do and become loose.
Tinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinken View Post
Try measuring your belt width. If it is close to 1" wide, it may be time for a new belt. I suggest you choose a severe duty belt which will also help regain lost power. The belt in the link above is made in the USA and is woven with Kevlar which will not stretch like other polyester belts do and become loose.
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered one so we will see what that does. How hard is it to install the belt? Is there a walk through?
Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I just put the cart in between forward/reverse so that it in neutral. Grab the belt in between the two clutches pull up to get slack in it. Then grab the belt with your left hand and push while turning the driven clutch with the right hand clockwise. Very easy to remove.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I run one of the HD CPP belts it works great! Now its on my clone and working really well with a cut sheave and a umax spring. I might try a new stock spring soon and see if it works ok and will be quieter at night. The umax is great on trails but revs more at low speeds, and with the clone I don't need it as much since it has much more torque than stock.

To remove you pull on the belt, you may have to push on the inside secondary sheave to spread the secondary a little and let the belt go in. Then take the slack and roll the belt off the side of the secondary while you turn the secondary. Reverse to get new one on. New belt may be sticky for a bit until it wears in.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Golfswithbeer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for all the advice. Put the belt on last night and it seemed more responsive to throttle (especially in reverse). In rev, I feel like the mud tires might squeal a bit on my garage floor. Anyhow, there is a hill at one course I belong to and it is VERY steep to get to the tee box. My partner always has to hop oput near the top so the cart and I can climb up. We will see if the beast can make it up to the top with both of us on it..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha