lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bought this beauty today

And the breakdown will occur someplace other than close to home.

The 22" tires will reduce the stock torque by about 20%, but the DCX500 will offset that somewhat, however it is going to be stressful on the stock PDS motor, so you might want to consider replacing it with a more robust one.

I'm running a high speed motor, but my tires are only 17" tall, so I have stock torque plus about 6%, but have to worry about over-revving the motor. With 22" tires I'd go with either a standard speed or high-torque motor.

Also, avoid the low pressure tires, they tend to be speed and amp hogs. Look for inflation pressures above 20PSI.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #22
coosa
Gone Wild

JohnnieB, every idea I had to save money on this cart is turning out to be a bad one. Better to find out now than out in the woods.

I had low pressure tires Carlisle tires on the old resistor cart; that's what everyone in my area was using on lifted golf carts back in the 90s when I put it together. The 2 rear ones wore out and I bought new ones about 3 years ago. I was thinking of using them on the front and buying 2 high pressure tires with an aggressive mud tread for the rear. This cart will never see the pavement; I plan to put it on the farm and leave it there. Think its a bad idea to use the old tires even on the front?

I know that a new motor would make it a much stronger cart, but the 2008 PDS that I already have has the 500 amp Alltrax with a stock motor and I have put it thru the worst places I have with no problems. It has climbed my steepest hills with 2 people in it and never broke a sweat, and runs way faster than I need. My thinking was that if the stock motor was fine for that cart, it oughta work for this one. Where I could be wrong is if the 2002 PDS motor is significantly different from the 2008. Is there a big difference in them? I've read that not all PDS motors are equal.

I originally planned for this cart to be a cheapo to just get around the farm. I can already see that things are gonna get out of hand. My initial budget of well under $1000 for everything is starting to approach $3K if I do everything I have in mind.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I was speaking about something to keep in mind when buying new tires. Using the serviceable tires from the Marathon ought to be okay. They might knock a bit off the top speed and/or the run-time, but use them up and wear them out. If the only two tires with tread that were on my cart when I got it, didn't have not-so-slow leaks, I'd still be running them.

The motor in the 2008 PDS is probably part# 73445G02 and the one in the 2002 is probably a part# 73124G08, but I don't know what the difference is. If the stock PDS motor in the 2008 is working okay for the way you use the cart, give the stock PDS motor in the 2002 a chance to prove itself. It even might work better in your application than the later version.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks for the reply, JohnnieB. I've ordered the lift kit and winch brush guard. Gonna order the controller kit when Scotty opens up. I think I'm gonna stop there and put it all together and make sure I'm happy with it before buying anything more. I'll post pics in this thread as I go.

Thanks to all for the help!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO