lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Upgrade a 97 DCS or start with newer?

Just looking for some quick opinions. I have a 97 DCS 36 volt, Alltrax 400 amp controller (5 years old), installed cut out head lights, new steering rack. Original paint, original wheels, will need batteries soon. I have not been hearing great things about the DCS (vs like a PDS). Trying to decide on upgrading this one or selling and starting with something newer. Will eventually want rear seat and possibly small lift kit and bigger tires (Paint Job?). I have had this cart for 9 years, been stored indoors, also repaired and repainted battery rack. A cart tech recommended replacing the F/R switch but I don't see that there is a HD F/R switch available for the DCS. I am currently waiting on a new forward micro switch that I could probably return. Use is primarily camp ground, paved roads, fields, somewhat of a hill but have had no problems with current cart making it through a day, sometimes hauling 4 persons. Does my newer controller fix the problems with a DCS, getting 23 mph on flat pavement.
Thanks for any quick thoughts!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade a 97 DCS or start with newer?

The biggest issue with a DCS cart was the Curtis 1206SX controller. Since it was replaced with an Alltrax DCX400 controller, that issue no longer exists.

The stock DCS motor has better low end torque than a stock PDS motor, so it would be better than a PDS for carrying four people. However, the PDS motor would have a slightly higher top speed. (Something like 24MPH rather than your current 23MPH - not much difference.)

Is your 97DCS a Medalist (Metal body) or a TXT (Plastic body)?
The steering mechanism was changed around 2001.
Other than those two items, there really isn't much difference in a 97DCS and a later model PDS.

If the body, frame and steering are in good shape, I'd probably stick with the 97.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks Johnny, TXT plastic, all in pretty good shape.

Is there a replacement HD F/R switch for this cart or
should I just replace the micro switches??
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugster View Post
thanks Johnny, TXT plastic, all in pretty good shape.

Is there a replacement HD F/R switch for this cart or
should I just replace the micro switches??
There is no need for a HD F/R switch in a DCS or PDS cart. The actual F/R switching is done inside the controller and the external F/R switch is just a low current device that tells the controller what to do.

Some people prefer the F/R switch by their knee and others prefer a dash mounted F/R. When repaired, your by the knee F/R switch will do the job just fine, or you could extend a few wires and add a diode to have a dash mounted (PDS type) F/R switch.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

STOP - Your DCS cart is a great match for your use, maybe better than any cart you will find out there

Dress it up and keep on going ... put your $ into that rear seat, the DCS will haul 4 pass better than a PDS and 23 mph is very respectable. (I suspect big tires.... ) Get new 4g cable set for best amp delivery. Stock F&R is okay unless your mechanic sees it failing somehow. There is no HD DCS F&R as mentioned.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

I also have a 97 dcs, upgraded to 48v, 400 alltrax, 48v sol, stock tires, well they are 10``low profile same height as stock and running 26-27 by myself . Love it!!!! It would spend the tires on gravel, but was too jerky for wife so I adjusted the alltrax for a slower takeoff..
brownleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The general consensus on this site is to fix what you have. I think most would agree all carts have a week spot but most all of those can be fixed. I have a 96 DCS and the stock controller went out so I upgraded to an alltrax dcx 400 and haven't looked back. On a very weak 36v pack it was a lot of fun, now with 48v I can't wait to drive it!!!

My cart is lifted, I have about 20" tires and a rear seat and have no problems hauling 4 adults and again that was on a very weak battery pack. So you already have the cart and the upgraded controller get new wires and new batteries and you are good to go.

Besides even with a newer PDS cart you will still want to upgrade the controller for having a rear seat.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great advice!,
Is it worth it to even go up to just 42v? If you go 42v or 48v would you need a new charger?? Should I just put a 48v solenoid regardless even if I don't up the voltage? I put the 4ga cables on 8 years ago and will switch those out with batts.

Thanks Again!!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From what I was told 42v on a DCS won't give you what it will on a PDS but 48v would be a nice improvement. I wish I could tell you but my shinny new 8v are just sitting in the cart and waiting on the new wires and charger that I finally ordered today!

I think most people that go to 48v don't regret that decision.

Yes you will need a new charger, since you already have an Altrax DCX 400 you won't need to upgrade the controller but you will also need to upgrade your solenoid.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

^^^As usual, what JB said!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO