lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solinoid clicks but no movement

I installed new batteries this afternoon and now the cart will not move. The solinoid clicks but no movement. I have voltage to the controller but the M- is not showing voltage. The cart has a spm 400, reverse Contactor switch and a HD solinoid. Any ideas??
Drock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solinoid clicks but no movement

The SPM is a series controller so no run/tow switch to worry about. Check pack voltage, to be sure you don't have any batteries wired up backwards or loose connections. Charge batteries before first use.

Check the reed switch and the 4 wire Molex connector coming from the throttle box.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The SPM has a LED status indicator light. With the cart on jack stands, what code does the LED flash:
1. when you turn the key on. put cart in gear, & press the gas
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The battery voltage is 38.2. How do I check Molex connector and what should I be looking for.

The light flashes 4 green then stays on when the gas pedal is pressed
Old 08-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Status lights sound good. For an AXE four flashes indicate throttle type is ITS. For the Molex plug, you should unplug it, spray contact cleaner, then plug/unplug a few times to clean it. It likely got bumped while you replaced the batteries. Those can be problematic. The throttle microswitch is working, since your controller powers up, but if there's a loose connection of the ITS, it won't go. If that doesn't correct it, you can check the connectors at the controller and finally, the spade connectors in the throttle box.

It's always best to start with what changed, or may have gotten bumped. Both the Molex plug and the connectors at the controller would be more likely that the connectors inside the throttle box.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The ITS looks to be in good working order. The cart was running before the new battery install. Should I try to resets the control?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

With a series, every time your foot is off the gas, you're essentially resetting it. The only real "boot up" is the four flashes. I'm still thinking something got bumped or loosened while installing new batteries. Unlike DCS and PDS carts, I think you have to try and kill a series controller. No run/Tow to worry about. I'm assuming you didn't accidentally connect the wrong thing to the wrong place.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When I installed my AXE, I had to replace the controller Molex with four spade connectors. If you did the same, check them. My vote is still on the 4 wire throttle Molex. Mine has to be "roughed up" every couple of months.

Try putting it on jack stands and have someone press the throttle slightly and wiggle the Molex. Try pushing each of the eight wires (four per side) toward each other, two at a time.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1 View Post
The battery voltage is 38.2...............The light flashes 4 green then stays on when the gas pedal is pressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1 View Post
...............The solinoid clicks ..............I have voltage to the controller but the M- is not showing voltage.............
Whether the controller turns on or not, you should have 38.2V (FULL battery pack voltage) on the M- terminal when the pedal is pushed just far enough to make the solenoid click.

If not, the problem is in the High Current circuit.

What is the voltage on the solenoid's controller side large terminal when the solenoid clicks? Should be pack voltage.

If you have it there, check if the solenoids on the reversing contactor are energizing.

If they are, check if the cables are connected correctly.

---------
Unfortunately, I don't have a schematic that shows the actual current paths through the reversing contactor assembly when it is in Forward or Reverse, so I can't troubleshoot the high current path(s) through it.

------------

If everything was working before the battery swap, and swapping the batteries was all that was done, the most likely possibilities are a blown high current fuse in the B+ cable to the solenoid or a couple high current cables got reinstalled in the wrong places.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The reversing contactor has power. I am going to put on all new connectors on the ITS and see if that solves it. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO