lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #1
panameric
Not Yet Wild

Default 2023 EZGO Express L6 Elite Speed Unlocked!

Bought a 2023 L6 Elite with the Curtis ACF4-A controller a few months back and quickly realized that nobody was able to access the controller on these new models. I spoke to several dealers and EV companies that insisted this controller could only be accessed with the Curtis Integrated Toolkit (CIT) software and you had to be an OEM to purchase that.

As it turns out, one homemade adapter later, I'm able to adjust everything using a 1313-4331 OEM handheld. I'm going 25-27mph with very conservative adjustments. Adjusted max speed to 19.5. Speed to RPM set at 350 out of 600 max - stock was set to 255.

The new models use a new connector for the diagnostic port (see pics attached). It's an Amphenol AT04 I believe. That needs to terminate to a DB9 Female to connect to the Curtis handheld using the DB9 cable (Curtis DB9 Cable)

You can make your own adapter using the following links:

AT04 Connector

DB9 Female

The DB9 serial connection is necessary to access these controllers. The standard molex connection will not work. I initially tried making an adapter with the molex connector and the 1313 got power but didn't recognize a system was connected.

Wiring, starting at the diagnostic port:

White wire with green stripe connects to pin 1 on the AT04 connector (white wire if using the Amazon link provided above), which then connects to pin 2 on the DB9 connector.

Black wire connects to pin 2 on the AT04 connector (brown wire if using the Amazon link provided above), which then connects to pin 6 on the DB9 connector.

White wire with yellow stripe connects to pin 3 on the AT04 connector (yellow wire if using the Amazon link provided above), which then connects to pin 7 on the DB9 connector.

Purple wire connects to pin 4 on the AT04 connector (green wire if using the Amazon link provided above), which then connects to pin 9 on the DB9 connector.

Now that I've given the blueprint to make it yourself, I've ordered a few more sets to make some extra adapters. If anyone wants one made for you, $50 shipped, PM me. Yes, I'm going to make a few bucks on each one. I don't make wire harnesses for a living but I'm happy to help.

I'll try to dive into an adapter for the 1314 programming station soon, I haven't gone down that road yet and don't know what's possible there.

This all started in this thread: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=189762

Huge shout out to usgicollector for the info and assist with the handheld - adapters coming your way soon! Also TheCartBoy and kgsc for their input that helped guide me down the right path to getting this figured out, I truly appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AT04-4P_front__18101.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DB9 pinout.JPG (29.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pinout.JPG (41.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7792.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7793.jpg (168.9 KB, 0 views)
panameric is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2023 EZGO Express L6 Elite Speed Unlocked!

Your welcome buddy.. I need to ask my ezgo buddies how they are handling this.

Possibly another option for the db9..
https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Fem...s%2C106&sr=8-4
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:45 AM   #3
panameric
Not Yet Wild

I like those ones with the cover too. I ordered some connectors with a case, they should be here Sunday. They require soldering but should make for a clean, durable adapter cable.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
TheCartBoy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the write up, it was fun watching the journey. This post should get a sticky, more folks are going to need this info.

Now the real question, can it do a wheelie?
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
panameric
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
Now the real question, can it do a wheelie?
I'm happy to try on someone else's cart - any takers?!

I'm going to play around with some of the acceleration settings this weekend. I'd like to get a tiny bit more out of the hole but honestly I'm completely satisfied where it's at now. We drive a lot of 25mph roads around here and going 18 just wasn't cutting it for me.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:36 PM   #6
panameric
Not Yet Wild

Final update and tune - cart is topping at 30mph with just me in it, 29mph carrying 500 pounds. I can run it at about 3/4 pedal and do a steady 25-26 mph which was my ultimate goal. I made the following adjustments using a 1313-4331 handheld:

**save a copy of your stock file first - these are .cdf, not .cpf anymore**

Max speed to 19.5
Speed to RPM to 400 (stock is 255, max is 600)
Default Drive Limiting map to 100% across the board
Switched from medium to fast acceleration (1 sec difference)

I tried aggressive acceleration, it's noticeable but not necessary for my needs. I did also increase the Max Drive Current from 300 to 325. Motor max current is 350. I monitored the current draw and I never drew more than 225A briefly during hard acceleration so this probably isn't necessary.

I don't know if I need a disclaimer here but obviously I'm just sharing my personal experience with my own cart - do this at your own risk. I'm completely comfortable with the setup I'm running and don't feel that I'm pushing the limits of the cart at all. Time will tell.

Hopefully this info helps others moving forward. Ride safe!
Old 06-24-2023, 11:47 PM   #7
panameric
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by panameric View Post
I'll try to dive into an adapter for the 1314 programming station soon, I haven't gone down that road yet and don't know what's possible there.
Oh, and regarding this, according to the Curtis manual for this series of controllers, it seems these can only be accessed using a 1313 handheld or the newer Curtis Integrated Toolkit software, there's no mention of the 1314 programming station. If anyone has any luck making a cable that works with the 1314, please share!
Old 06-25-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I might add that Eric was using a Curtis 1313-4331 handheld and the programming level was OEM Dealer. I'm curious if anyone has a 1313-4331 in an OEM Factory level. There isn't a lot of parameters that can be changed in the OEM Dealer level handheld.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-06-25 095021.jpg (77.1 KB, 0 views)
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:55 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I donít think you can export the file to excel like you can with the 1314 software but when you do that it shows every parameter and what level access you need to change it. I believe Bob has a dealer level handheld but he is off the grid.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:15 AM   #10
TheCartBoy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Increasing the max drive current probably won't feel different for a single rider on flat ground. Now add 4 good ol boys on a hill, and you'll certainly need that extra umph.

Is there a part number for OEM factory?
TheCartBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO