lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
sledparts
Not Yet Wild

Default Remove the steering wheel with a big hammer

Yes, you read the title correctly!

To remove the steering wheel:

1) remove the 2 screws on the backside that hold the cover on, use a flat screwdriver to release the 2 small tabs on the backside that hold the cover on and pop the cover off.

2) loosen the big retaining nut on the shaft about 2 turns - DO NOT REMOVE IT ALL THE WAY AND DO NOT LET THE NUT PASS THE END OF THE THREADS ON THE SHAFT!!!!!!!!

3) put your foot against the dash and your knee against the back of the steering wheel and apply a good amount of pressure to the back of the wheel

4) while applying pressure with your leg wack the end of the bolt with the hammer and presto! it should pop the wheel loose from the shaft. You can loosen the nut a little more and see if it worked. If not thread the nut down past the end of the shaft and try again.

I have used this method about 10 times now and it has worked on every cart.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO WRECK THE THREADS ON THE END OF THE SHAFT WITH THE HAMMER!!!

It should only take a hit or 3 to get it to pop loose but it is important to loosen the nut and check after each wack as there is very little distance between the wheel and the nut to tell if it popped.

USE THIS METHOD AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!

sledparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Remove the steering wheel with a big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Take the nut off, thread it back on till it stops by hand, put a square piece of 2X4 on the nut, put your feet on the top edge of dash, knees behind the wheel with pressure, whack block of wood until it pops loose. Took mine about 3 whacks...

A video of this would be nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Jakesnake27 that's kind of the same thing I do. I put the ball peen hammer through the steering wheel with the ball sitting inside the lock nut. Pull outward on the hammer as hard as you can while you wack the big end of the hammer with another hammer. It'll pop loose.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

As I was reading this I was thinking it sounded familiar...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
sledparts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
As I was reading this I was thinking it sounded familiar...
great minds think alike!
sledparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car